Author Topic: Trouble using code replacement on ingesting files  (Read 6242 times)

Offline MWeston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Trouble using code replacement on ingesting files
« on: May 24, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »
Hello, I hope that you might be able to help me with an issue when using code replacement on multiple files when ingesting.

I am trying to do some remote captioning work for a group of photographers at an event. They have supplied to me on email a .xmp file along with 3 .txt files.

Firstly I have loaded the .xmp file for the caption for the relevant day.

Here I have replaced the caption writer with an email contact and have put /p{serial number}/ in the photographers name field along with ©️{year}{photog} in the Copyright field.

I then load the .txt files via settings>Set code replacements by add button.
The field in the text files are the camera serial number and then the photographers name separated by a tab

Then by use of the ingest function I am selecting my source folder and creating my primary destination folder. I have ticked the Apply Metadata template to photos box, loaded the Metadata (IPTC) Template (use local template) and renaming the ingested photos.

Within one of the .txt files, I have a list of serial numbers followed by the associated photographers names

I ingest the files and this is where the replacement isn’t working. The ingested files are showing the serial number and not the associated photographers name for the Photographer field then it shows ©️2021 but still the serial number in the Copyright field

Can you help please as the chief photographer (in the USA) has supplied all the xmp and txt files to me (in the UK). It works for him and his team out there but not for me. I cannot see the reason why?

I’m currently on a trial version of PM+ (v.6, build 5820)

Chief photographer is on Photo Mechanic V.6 build 4851

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trouble using code replacement on ingesting files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 05:11:53 PM »
Hello, I hope that you might be able to help me with an issue when using code replacement on multiple files when ingesting.

Can you help please as the chief photographer (in the USA) has supplied all the xmp and txt files to me (in the UK). It works for him and his team out there but not for me. I cannot see the reason why?

Can you provide me the XMP and TXT files, please?

-Kirk

Offline MWeston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 05:03:38 AM »
Here are the .xmp and .txt files that I have been sent along with two images pre ingest and post ingest.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline MWeston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 02:56:25 PM »
It seems I may have no Code Replacement functionality at all. If I enter codes for driver names nothing happens. It doesn’t seem to recognise any commands.

I tried rebuilding one of the text files with Textwrangler and I’ve even downgraded to Photo Mechanic V.6 to be on the same software as my colleagues with no success.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 04:20:36 PM »
It seems I may have no Code Replacement functionality at all. If I enter codes for driver names nothing happens. It doesn’t seem to recognise any commands.

I tried rebuilding one of the text files with Textwrangler and I’ve even downgraded to Photo Mechanic V.6 to be on the same software as my colleagues with no success.

Your Code Replacement files and the XMP file look fine.  What are you choosing as your Code Replacement delimiter?  I noticed in your original post that you're using forward slashes (/) as your Code Replacement delimiter.  The default is the backslash (\).  Check your Code Replacement settings and make sure you're using the same delimiter as you've got set in the dialog (or change it to suit.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MWeston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 04:33:09 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I checked the settings and the delimiter is set as /, the same as set in the dialog box.

Still no joy when I ingest. It’s as though it’s just not reading the txt files even though they are there in the drop downs.

When I type for example, /i06 to bring up the relevant data nothing happens. On top of the failed replacements in ingesting both would point to that for some reason maybe? is that possible?

Really appreciate your assistance,

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
Mike,

I checked the settings and the delimiter is set as /, the same as set in the dialog box.

OK, good.

Still no joy when I ingest. It’s as though it’s just not reading the txt files even though they are there in the drop downs.

When I type for example, /i06 to bring up the relevant data nothing happens. On top of the failed replacements in ingesting both would point to that for some reason maybe? is that possible?

What happens when you're in the Metadata (IPTC) Info (click the 'i' button on the thumbnail) and you type:

/i06/

It should expand to: #06: Helio Castroneves, Meyer Shank Racing Honda

I loaded up the "21 I500 Indy ICS.txt" file and entered the above (in the Caption) and it output the expanded text.

-Kirk

Offline MWeston

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 07:12:04 PM »
Got them!

Thank you ever so much for talking me through the process. By resetting the delimiter and then finally doing a full restart I think it's ok now. That's something I would have stared at for hours and not realised but will stick with me now.

Once again, many thanks!

Off to do some captioning!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 08:54:13 PM »
You're welcome, Mike.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Vogan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
Mike,
Not the answer to your question, but if you are using "/" as your delimiting character, you are missing out on powerful capabilities during ingest.  I, for example, set my primary destination to MY COMPUTER NAME/.../Master Ingest Folder.  So I have set-up a folder that I know all of my ingested images go into.  I set my ingest to say to the folder {datesortdash} {event}.  This automatically saves into a named and dated subfolder.

Even better, I can, for example, save to {datesortdash} {event}/[Firstname] [Lastname] so when I am doing a photoshoot of multiple athletes' portraits, I would automatically create a named subfolder for each athlete.  My delimiting character is "=".  When the default delimiting character was "/", this method would not work because I wanted PM to create a subfolder, but PM thought I was trying to do a Code replacement.

The short version is change your delimiting character and it will allow you to automatically create subfolders on ingest, a powerful capability.