Author Topic: Aspect Ratio/Crop preview at all times?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline jknightphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Aspect Ratio/Crop preview at all times?
« on: September 14, 2021, 05:38:06 AM »
I use the 1:1 aspect ratio in my Canon 5D SR. When I view them on my camera I can see the crop lines in the viewfinder and LCD. When I open them into Photoshop, they come in 'natively' as the square aspect ratio as I saw through the viewfinder. However, when I view them in Photo Mechanic they come in as 3:2 (the aspect ratio of the sensor). I swear for a time they came in as square into Photo Mechanic but maybe after an update my custom setting was removed or that was removed from the software?

TLDR Is there a way to default that all photos in the session are either displayed with 1:1 crop preview or shown as they are in Photoshop already cropped to 1:1?

I know there are ways to manually turn on crops when viewing individual photos but really don't want to do that manual process for every photo that I tag out of a set. Plus it's hard to go through the editing process without knowing where the 1:1 ratio falls in the 3:2.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Aspect Ratio/Crop preview at all times?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 05:55:22 AM »
I use the 1:1 aspect ratio in my Canon 5D SR. When I view them on my camera I can see the crop lines in the viewfinder and LCD. When I open them into Photoshop, they come in 'natively' as the square aspect ratio as I saw through the viewfinder. However, when I view them in Photo Mechanic they come in as 3:2 (the aspect ratio of the sensor). I swear for a time they came in as square into Photo Mechanic but maybe after an update my custom setting was removed or that was removed from the software?

TLDR Is there a way to default that all photos in the session are either displayed with 1:1 crop preview or shown as they are in Photoshop already cropped to 1:1?

I know there are ways to manually turn on crops when viewing individual photos but really don't want to do that manual process for every photo that I tag out of a set. Plus it's hard to go through the editing process without knowing where the 1:1 ratio falls in the 3:2.

The only crops that PM is going to recognize are the crops that it or Adobe software adds to the XMP metadata.  Is there crop data in the embedded XMP metadata on your images?  If you don't know and are willing to share an image that you think should have a crop on it, please provide it to me and I will investigate.

-Kirk

Offline jknightphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 06:30:17 AM »
Hi Kirk, I attached a few screenshots (the 50 MP raw files were not uploading and the site was timing out). When investigating this time, I found that when I opened the first RAW image into Adobe Raw it immediately recognized it as square without any involvement on my end and then created the XMP. When that file is opened into PM it gave me a crop preview.  The other photo which I did not open in RAW does not have an XMP nor crop preview. I guess this is expected behavior based on your initial reply.

Maybe the workaround is to open everything in Adobe Raw before ingesting into PM? I swear this has worked in the past, but I may be wrong!

PS I love PM and have been a user since 2007!   8)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »
Hi Kirk, I attached a few screenshots (the 50 MP raw files were not uploading and the site was timing out). When investigating this time, I found that when I opened the first RAW image into Adobe Raw it immediately recognized it as square without any involvement on my end and then created the XMP. When that file is opened into PM it gave me a crop preview.  The other photo which I did not open in RAW does not have an XMP nor crop preview. I guess this is expected behavior based on your initial reply.

I'd really need a source image to investigate.  I can get you the login info for our FTP server and then you can upload the full image for us.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message and send me a personal message.

Thanks,

-Kirk