Author Topic: finding only portrait or landscape images  (Read 1936 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
finding only portrait or landscape images
« on: October 17, 2021, 03:14:31 AM »
Is there a way to find only portrait or landscape images? h>w or w>h don't work.

Thanks
David

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
Re: finding only portrait or landscape images
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 04:19:40 AM »
Hi David,

There is a previous discussion and solutions in below link:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3422.msg40514#msg40514

-Lars

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 05:11:14 AM »
Thanks for that link Lars.

It doesn't help much though. Sorting by {aspect} seems like the nearest there is to a solution but I find that while it sorts *most* of the images correctly there are a good few landscapes among the portraits and vice versa. I see no reason why the wrongly sorted images should be out of place. I don't know if PM sorts on the rotated aspect or on the original aspect but anyway these are not rotated.

I'd still like to find a reliable way to if there are any other suggestions.

On a related topic - I edited the sort by {sound} option to get an {aspect} sort as I couldn't see a way to create a new sort option. Is PM limited to 10 options?

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 05:20:36 AM »
David,

It doesn't help much though. Sorting by {aspect} seems like the nearest there is to a solution but I find that while it sorts *most* of the images correctly there are a good few landscapes among the portraits and vice versa. I see no reason why the wrongly sorted images should be out of place. I don't know if PM sorts on the rotated aspect or on the original aspect but anyway these are not rotated.

Yes, I believe that the aspect ratio is based on the rotated images.  Sorry I can't be more exact in my answer, I am on vacation and I don't have access to my development system at this time.  Perhaps you could try soft rotating the images that are out of sorts?

On a related topic - I edited the sort by {sound} option to get an {aspect} sort as I couldn't see a way to create a new sort option. Is PM limited to 10 options?

Yes.  All of the ten custom sorts are examples for you to modify as you see fit.  You can get them back if you want.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 06:23:13 AM »
David,

Yes, I believe that the aspect ratio is based on the rotated images.  Sorry I can't be more exact in my answer, I am on vacation and I don't have access to my development system at this time.  Perhaps you could try soft rotating the images that are out of sorts?

After an {aspect} search I see a series of portrait images with a few landscapes scattered among them. See attached screenshot. These are recent digital pictures but I see the same with old scans too.

If I soft rotate an image then its sort order changes as it should so PM is sorting according to the rotation set by the user (good).

Soft rotating individual images to correct the sort order will mean that they are shown in the correct order but 90 degrees rotated which is not so good. I need this sort to reduce the number of images found from a search to speed up finding what I'm looking for. Clearly I can't sort all the 200k+ images and then rotate the ones that are out of place so as there are random misplaced images selecting a complete run of the desired format images will exclude a few that may include the ones I need.

This sort sometimes is almost instant but more often runs very slowly, with 'preloading metatdata' showing at bottom left and sometimes taking 5 or more minutes sorting a set of about 1200. On occasions the progress bar stops part way along and never completes.

Another anomaly is that some sorts give portrait first and others give landscape first. It doesn't really matter but may be a clue to what's happening?

And - remember that you are on vacation Kirk. This can wait!

David

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:18:54 AM »
Hi,

And why not, simply, two keywords... "landscape" and "portrait".

;)
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 08:06:25 AM »
Hi,

;)

I'd need to be able to find & separate the landscape and portrait images first in order to key them...
David

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 10:22:58 PM »
Hi,

;)

I'd need to be able to find & separate the landscape and portrait images first in order to key them...
David

If your request is urgent and imperative, and while waiting for a solution via PM+, you tag your photos via another application (Adobe Bridge, for example).
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/