Author Topic: Should PMP+ use a GPU  (Read 962 times)

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
Should PMP+ use a GPU
« on: December 09, 2021, 10:56:40 AM »
Windows 11, i7-8700K, 64Gb RAM with 320,000+ catalogue on M2 and images on a single local SATA drive & PMP+ 6.0.0.6097.  I am wondering if PMP+ should utilise the GPU when looking at the large previews?
Under task manager I see zero for GPU and 4-5% for the CPU.
I realise how fast the GPU is the other day when I did a 22 image 16bit tif panorama with PTGui in about 10 seconds.  In PMP+, if i try to delete an image from the large preview window, each deletion takes about 5 seconds.
I have set the Windows graphics preferences to use the GPU for high performance but no difference.

Am I expecting too much?

Thanks for any help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Should PMP+ use a GPU
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
Windows 11, i7-8700K, 64Gb RAM with 320,000+ catalogue on M2 and images on a single local SATA drive & PMP+ 6.0.0.6097.  I am wondering if PMP+ should utilise the GPU when looking at the large previews?
Under task manager I see zero for GPU and 4-5% for the CPU.
I realise how fast the GPU is the other day when I did a 22 image 16bit tif panorama with PTGui in about 10 seconds.  In PMP+, if i try to delete an image from the large preview window, each deletion takes about 5 seconds.

Photo Mechanic does not use the GPU.

Deleting an image wouldn't ever use the GPU anyway.  I expect most of the time spent to delete an image would be:

Moving the image to the Recycle Bin if your preferences are to do so.  Otherwise the file will be deleted which should be fairly fast if the image is local.
Updating the catalog(s) that the image was in to remove it from the catalog(s).

-Kirk

Offline Dewcal

• View Profile
Re: Should PMP+ use a GPU
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 12:54:39 PM »
Kirk,

Many thnaks for information - I can stop worrying about that now!