Author Topic: Folder disappears after arrangement and renaming of photos  (Read 4347 times)

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Folder disappears after arrangement and renaming of photos
« on: January 26, 2022, 01:02:45 AM »
A few days ago, I installed PM Plus on my computer to test its functions with my database. During testing I ran into the following problem:

I was not able to drag & drop photos in the contact sheet in the Organizer view. There was no item “Arrangement” that could be selected in the drop-down sorting menu. But in the Navigator view after selecting the folder with the desired photos, I could see it and I selected the item “Arrangement” in the drop-down sorting menu. Now I could rearrange the photos with drag & drop. I renamed the photos with regards to the new sequence.
Is it only possible to do arrangements in the Navigator and not in the Organizer?

After the renaming of the photos in the new sequence, I cannot see the folder with the renamed photos in the Organizer (Filter/Browse) any more. If I explicitly search for the photos, they are shown with their new file names. Only in the Navigator the folder is still shown.
Any explanation for that behavior? Why is that folder not shown in the Organizer anymore? Do i need to update the catalog after every rearrangement and renaming even if the photos seem to be still in the database (search finds them)?

Thanks for your support.
----------------------------------
Update:
After doing several tests regarding this issue, i found that it is not linked to the arrangement. It is a renaming issue. If you rename photos, they can not been seen any more in Filter/Browse view when Folder Path is selected. In any other case the photos are still visible. If you rename all photos of a folder, then the folder is not visible at all in Filter/Browse view when Folder Path is selected. How to make the photos/folder visible again in Filter/Browse view via Folder Path?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:01:07 AM by Rustler »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder disappears after arrangement and renaming of photos
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 09:22:42 AM »
A few days ago, I installed PM Plus on my computer to test its functions with my database. During testing I ran into the following problem:

I was not able to drag & drop photos in the contact sheet in the Organizer view.

Drag and drop in the Organizer is not supported at this time.

There was no item “Arrangement” that could be selected in the drop-down sorting menu. But in the Navigator view after selecting the folder with the desired photos, I could see it and I selected the item “Arrangement” in the drop-down sorting menu. Now I could rearrange the photos with drag & drop. I renamed the photos with regards to the new sequence.
Is it only possible to do arrangements in the Navigator and not in the Organizer?

You can arrange Collections.  Other Catalog-related Contact Sheets cannot be arranged (Search, Browse, and Filter).

After the renaming of the photos in the new sequence, I cannot see the folder with the renamed photos in the Organizer (Filter/Browse) any more. If I explicitly search for the photos, they are shown with their new file names. Only in the Navigator the folder is still shown.
Any explanation for that behavior? Why is that folder not shown in the Organizer anymore? Do i need to update the catalog after every rearrangement and renaming even if the photos seem to be still in the database (search finds them)?

Thanks for your support.
----------------------------------
Update:
After doing several tests regarding this issue, i found that it is not linked to the arrangement. It is a renaming issue. If you rename photos, they can not been seen any more in Filter/Browse view when Folder Path is selected. In any other case the photos are still visible. If you rename all photos of a folder, then the folder is not visible at all in Filter/Browse view when Folder Path is selected. How to make the photos/folder visible again in Filter/Browse view via Folder Path?

Sounds like a bug that we'll have to reproduce and fix.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »
I am unable to reproduce the problem on Windows 10 or macOS Mojave.  Can you list a set of steps that, if followed by me, will reproduce the problem?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 09:57:19 AM »
Hello Kirk,

i synchronized my test catalog this morning to see my folder and photos again. That was sucessful.
So i had to do the following steps to reproduce the problem:

Goto Navigator:
select a folder with photos (in this case JPEG-photos)
select arrangement in drop-down menu
manually rearrange some photos
select all photos
rename selected photos (added a sequence number in front and “Navigator” at the end of filenamebase)

Goto Browser:
select Folder Path
goto parent folder of the subfolder with the renamed photos
you hopefully will see that subfolder with the renamed photos is not shown any more

Note:
SEARCH and ADD/MODIFY for the test catalog are enabled. (maybe it is not important in this case)

I hope that you are now able to reproduce. Feel free to ask for further infos, if necessary.

Thanks
Rustler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 11:01:17 AM »
i synchronized my test catalog this morning to see my folder and photos again. That was sucessful.
So i had to do the following steps to reproduce the problem:

I hope that you are now able to reproduce. Feel free to ask for further infos, if necessary.

I'm still unable to reproduce on Windows 10.  Is there anything special about the path to the photos?

-Kirk

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:34 AM »
The photos are stored on a NAS and the catalog is stored on a local hard disk.

But I had a closer look at my photo test database with the PM Browser and there is something looking really strange. I can see two paths to my NAS photo location. The one via the IP-adress and the one with a drive letter F:\. As you can see in the attachments via the IP-adress the complete test database is visible and only the JPEG folder we are looking for is not visible in PM, but in the F:\ path only the missing JPEG folder is visible in PM (nothing else of the database). If i look at the data with the PM Navigator everything is correct and all subfolders are together visible and accessable.

It seems that PM moves the JPEG folder after renaming of all the photos in it to a different logical drive, which is in reality the same drive.
I will do some more tests tomorrow and keep you updated. I am new to PM, so i guess that i did a mistake maybe in setting up the catalog.

Thank you very much for your support. I you have an explanation, please keep me informed.

- Rustler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 12:12:31 PM »
The photos are stored on a NAS and the catalog is stored on a local hard disk.

But I had a closer look at my photo test database with the PM Browser and there is something looking really strange. I can see two paths to my NAS photo location. The one via the IP-adress and the one with a drive letter F:\. As you can see in the attachments via the IP-adress the complete test database is visible and only the JPEG folder we are looking for is not visible in PM, but in the F:\ path only the missing JPEG folder is visible in PM (nothing else of the database). If i look at the data with the PM Navigator everything is correct and all subfolders are together visible and accessable.

When you added the photos to your catalog, did you add them via that IP-adress volume or the F:\ volume?

-Kirk

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 03:20:52 PM »
I am not sure how i did it. I will delete the current test catalog and create a new one tomorrow. With that I will fully documentate my steps and give you an update.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Rustler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 03:30:16 PM »
I am not sure how i did it. I will delete the current test catalog and create a new one tomorrow. With that I will fully documentate my steps and give you an update.

Thank you very much for your patience.

And thank you for yours.

-Kirk

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 03:48:33 PM »
I just did a full catalog sync. Now only the F:\ path is visible with my complete test database. All folders and photos are shown were they should be. Isn't that crazy?

Besides that, my other testing showed me that PM+ is a great program. It offers various options and helpful functions to create an efficient workflow. The performance is really great so far. I like it  :).
I hope we can fix that issue ...

Rustler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 04:08:24 PM »
I just did a full catalog sync. Now only the F:\ path is visible with my complete test database. All folders and photos are shown were they should be. Isn't that crazy?

Besides that, my other testing showed me that PM+ is a great program. It offers various options and helpful functions to create an efficient workflow. The performance is really great so far. I like it  :).
I hope we can fix that issue ...

I do too.  I await your update with the steps to reproduce the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Rustler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 06:48:37 AM »
So, i did some further testing with a new catalog. Here you can see my actions in detail:

Start with Catalog Management
Select New Catalog
Location:    G:\Photo Mechanic Catalogues (G: is a fast local hard drive)
Name:       Test PM Plus New
Scan to Catalog (see Screenshot 0)
Folder on NAS:       F:\Test Photo Mechanic Plus\Jahr 2021
(Shown after selection: //{IP Adress}/Photo/Test Photo Mechanic Plus/Jahr2021)
Exclude intensions: spd, db
>>> Folder path is starting with IP address (see screenshot 1); no other folder path

Note: In Windows10 I allocated the letter F: to my NAS Photo Folder \\{IP Adress}\Photo
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test1:
Organizer and Browse View
Select all photos in a folder and rename them (add suffix)
>>>> everything is fine
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test2:
Goto Navigator
Select a folder
Select arrangement view
Rearrange 3 photos in that folder
Rename all photos by adding a sequence number as prefix
Goto Organizer and Browse view:
Now you see a folder path starting with the IP address and a second folder path starting with F:
In the original folder structure starting with the IP address the subfolder is not visible any more
In the folder path starting with F: you see at the end only the missing folder with its photos (see screenshot 2)
Same in Filter view (Screenshot 3)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test3:
Goto Navigator
Select a folder
Select arrangement view
Rearrange only one photo in that selected folder and rename it
Goto Organizer
Browse or Filter view:
The renamed photo is not visible anymore in the folder with the folder path starting with the IP address. But in the folder path starting with F: the folder with only that one missing photo is visible
(Screenshot 4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test5:
Goto Navigator
Do not select arrangement view (sort was by filename)
Select a folder and rename all photos (sequence number as suffix added); no rearrangements
Goto Organizer Browse/Filter view:
The folder with the renamed photos is not visible anymore in the folder with the folder path starting with the IP address. But in the folder path starting with F: the folder with the renamed photos is visible (Screenshot5)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry about that much stuff, but i am not an expert and i really want to fix that problem. I do not have an idea why PM creates a new folder path and stores the renamed photos there. First i thought it occurs only in the arrangement view.  But as you can see, it occurs also when renaming w/o arrangement view in the Navigator. Renaming in the Organizer is ok. But there you can not do arrangements.

I hope you experts will find the reason for that behavior of PM.

Thanks
Rustler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 07:32:58 AM »
Thanks.  I only see one screenshot though.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 09:54:08 AM »
Sorry about that much stuff, but i am not an expert and i really want to fix that problem. I do not have an idea why PM creates a new folder path and stores the renamed photos there. First i thought it occurs only in the arrangement view.  But as you can see, it occurs also when renaming w/o arrangement view in the Navigator. Renaming in the Organizer is ok. But there you can not do arrangements.

I hope you experts will find the reason for that behavior of PM.

I think that rearranging photos has no ill effects.  I think the problem is due to inconsistent application of path normalization.  The first path normalization comes from when you pick the folder with the folder chooser dialog when you used Scan to Catalog.  Later when you used the Navigator and renamed files, the paths to the changed files were not normalized, so the updates to the catalog caused the representation of the path to change.  The paths to the photos are the same as far as the OS is concerned (they both can be followed to the same file) but clearly they're not all the same path components.

There are reasons for path normalization (following mount points, symbolic links, dealing with shortcuts, relative paths, etc.) but I think users expect that when they open a folder with an assigned drive letter, they will see that path throughout the application.

However, if the drive letter fails to be assigned for some reason, then the server path (the one you call IP Address) would still work as long as the server is still reachable.

Perhaps we should just expect that if the user has assigned a drive letter to a server share, then they will maintain that it exists and prefer them.

-Kirk