Author Topic: Entering IPTC Metadata In iOS & Copying It To Photo Mechanic?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
Entering IPTC Metadata In iOS & Copying It To Photo Mechanic?
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:47:18 PM »
When photographing in the field, I enter metadata such as subject, location, etc. on my phone using Apple Pages and later manually re-enter the data in Photo Mechanic, which is an annoying waste of time. I'd like to be able to enter IPTC metadata into a form on my iPhone and then import my IPTC metadata to Photo Mechanic when I import the photos to my computer/Photo Mechanic.

Does anyone know how to do this efficiently? I should add that I need to do this for an analogue film camera as well as for my digital cameras.

Thanks
Processing: Mac Studio, Photo Mechanic Plus, Capture One

Image Formats: Leica DNG, Apple HEIC, TIFF, JPEG, MOV

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Entering IPTC Metadata In iOS & Copying It To Photo Mechanic?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:48:52 AM »
Hi Rob,

I don't know too much about Apple Pages. Can it export your data as a tab-separated value file?  If so, you might be able to save a little time using Code Replacements to apply that data to your files. Though you would have to enter the filenames into your file at some point before it would work.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Rob Hedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 11:09:59 AM »
Thanks Mick. I'll try Code Replacement to see how much time it saves. Currently reading your Help articles about it, and there are a number of YouTube videos.
Processing: Mac Studio, Photo Mechanic Plus, Capture One

Image Formats: Leica DNG, Apple HEIC, TIFF, JPEG, MOV

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 05:12:18 PM »
The way I might do it would be to use Hot Codes, but I will admit that the documentation around Hot Codes is not where it should be (We're working on it)

So I made a 4 minute video here where I apply metadata to a set of photos from a spreadsheet, I convert the spreadsheet into a Code Replacement file and  download it as a TSV (tab-separated value) file and load it into Photo Mechanic -- I don't know if you're able to get your metadata into a spreadsheet easily, but perhaps this might help:

https://www.loom.com/share/c5bb9f525cdc4b6c9b521eedb6a107dd

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits