Author Topic: IPTC info stripped by Affinity  (Read 1404 times)

Offline RMole

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC info stripped by Affinity
« on: March 14, 2022, 02:01:31 PM »
 Hi, I am running a trial version of Photo Mechanic as my Data Asset Management for applying such information as key words. I apply the IPTC template to the image OK but when I click on the Photo Mechanic image for dragging over to Affinity I see that it highlights x2 files and when I drag the RAW file over the Affinity I get an error message XMP not compatible. The subsequent file is stripped of the IPTC template info. (this does not happen with a JPEG file).

1) Do I need to change something in PM

2) Is Photomechanic just not compatible with Affinity

Kind regards

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC info stripped by Affinity
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »
Hi, I am running a trial version of Photo Mechanic as my Data Asset Management for applying such information as key words. I apply the IPTC template to the image OK but when I click on the Photo Mechanic image for dragging over to Affinity I see that it highlights x2 files and when I drag the RAW file over the Affinity I get an error message XMP not compatible. The subsequent file is stripped of the IPTC template info. (this does not happen with a JPEG file).

1) Do I need to change something in PM

2) Is Photomechanic just not compatible with Affinity

Instead of using drag and drop, try assigning Affinity as one of your editing applications.  Then you can use the Edit Photos command on the Image menu to send the image directly to Affinity.

See: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001145596-launching-preferences

Photo Mechanic doesn't know what the eventual target of the dropped files will be so it has to include any files that are associated with the image file.  Metadata is stored within JPEGs, and generally metadata is stored in an XMP sidecar file for RAW files.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RMole

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 02:35:04 AM »
Hi and many thanks for your help.
It appears, no matter what adjustments I make Affinity does not accept "sidecar" files thus am forced into just using JPEGs or (which I am tempted with) using a post processing application that does

Hey Ho

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 08:03:13 AM »
It appears, no matter what adjustments I make Affinity does not accept "sidecar" files thus am forced into just using JPEGs or (which I am tempted with) using a post processing application that does

Does Affinity offer metadata editing?  If so, where does it store the metadata that you edit on RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline RMole

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
Hi Kirk and many thanks for continue to follow this up
From despair to joy !!

A very clever person at Affinity directed me into the deepest and scary aspects of Affinity preferences, told me to tick a box that allows for sidecar imports.
Hey presto light out of dark and a 5 star work flow shooting in RAW can now be adopted

I will now be buying a full license of PM and my request can be closed

:)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 10:27:11 AM »
Hi Kirk and many thanks for continue to follow this up
From despair to joy !!

A very clever person at Affinity directed me into the deepest and scary aspects of Affinity preferences, told me to tick a box that allows for sidecar imports.
Hey presto light out of dark and a 5 star work flow shooting in RAW can now be adopted

I will now be buying a full license of PM and my request can be closed

:)

That's good to hear.  Hopefully your findings will help others having issues with interoperability with PM and Affinity.

-Kirk