Author Topic: Hard drive always working  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Jeff Wasserman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hard drive always working
« on: March 18, 2022, 07:08:44 AM »
Hi - I am new to the Plus version but long time Pm used. I have created and indexed my archive. It resides on an external drive and the catalog file is on my computer HD.  My issue is that whenever PM Plus is running it is working the external drive continually. I am worried about it burning out the drive. Should it be doing this? iMac 2019  running OS 10.15.7 . Also, is there a complete list of search syntax somewhere? I often need to include things like file type in the initial search.  Thnx.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hard drive always working
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 09:24:01 AM »
Jeff,

Hi - I am new to the Plus version but long time Pm used. I have created and indexed my archive. It resides on an external drive and the catalog file is on my computer HD.  My issue is that whenever PM Plus is running it is working the external drive continually. I am worried about it burning out the drive. Should it be doing this?

Are you looking at any of the images that are stored on that drive?  If so, then Photo Mechanic Plus will be accessing those images to produce thumbnails and previews as you look at them.  Image proxies are only used when a drive is offline.

Also, is there a complete list of search syntax somewhere? I often need to include things like file type in the initial search.

Catalog->Searchable Fields...
Catalog->Search Examples...

Though you may find it easier to use Filters (File Type as first stage, Custom Search for the second stage) instead of a more complex query.

-Kirk

Offline Jeff Wasserman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »
No I am not searching and do not even have a window open - Just PM Plus running in background. Continual pinging of the HD going on and I have no idea how to make it stop aside from shutting down the app.

Offline Jeff Wasserman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »
It's OK -- it stopped. No idea why !

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »
Jeff,

No I am not searching and do not even have a window open - Just PM Plus running in background. Continual pinging of the HD going on and I have no idea how to make it stop aside from shutting down the app.

If you were just building your catalog, then it was gathering metadata from the images and generating proxy images for offline use.

-Kirk