Author Topic: About Country Code  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
About Country Code
« on: March 31, 2022, 06:18:06 AM »
Hi,

I updated to Build 6375, but it doesn't seem to reflect the country code properly.
When I enter the country code JPN in the IPTC Template of the Photo Mechanic and upload photos to our database, two codes "JPN JPN" are displayed in the country code column.

I also read about the country code in the announcement, but I don't quite understand it well. It says it only support ascii, but is it wrong to write the IPTC in "Shift-JIS + write as unicode" ?

This problem hasn't happened before, so I'd appreciate it if you could teach me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: About Country Code
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 09:21:40 AM »
Morio,

I updated to Build 6375, but it doesn't seem to reflect the country code properly.
When I enter the country code JPN in the IPTC Template of the Photo Mechanic and upload photos to our database, two codes "JPN JPN" are displayed in the country code column.

The country code is now written to both XMP and IIM IPTC.  It looks like your system is paying attention to both fields and concatenating them.  Unless you really need the legacy IIM IPTC, you can turn off adding IIM IPTC in the IPTC/XMP page of the Preferences dialog.

I also read about the country code in the announcement, but I don't quite understand it well. It says it only support ascii, but is it wrong to write the IPTC in "Shift-JIS + write as unicode" ?

If your letters still end up being the roman letters A through Z, then you should be fine.  To my knowledge, none of the country codes include any non-ASCII characters.

This problem hasn't happened before, so I'd appreciate it if you could teach me.

We were informed by the IPTC group that we were missing the country code in IIM IPTC, so in order to comply with the standard, we added that field in IIM IPTC.

Perhaps you can turn off IPTC or instruct your database to ignore it if present.

-Kirk

Offline Morio Taga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 04:38:35 PM »
Kirk,

Thank you for your reply.
I understood the possibility related to the specification of our system.

I will try turning off the addition of IIM IPTC.

Thank you for explaining it clearly.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 04:46:52 PM »
You're very welcome, Morio.

-Kirk