Author Topic: 'status' field in metadata  (Read 1094 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
'status' field in metadata
« on: April 06, 2022, 08:47:56 AM »
How does PM+ deal with the 'status' field in the metadata?

I have a number of fields with a specific term in that field. Media Pro finds these files but PM+ gives odd results. The catalog has 300k images. If I search for 'status is not empty' I get 0 results. If I search 'status is empty' I get 5. There are 80 files with 'paul' in the status field but a search 'status paul' finds none.

Thanks
David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'status' field in metadata
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »
David,

How does PM+ deal with the 'status' field in the metadata?

'status' is not a searchable field.  It is not indexed at all and it is not listed in the list of Searchable Fields.

I have a number of fields with a specific term in that field. Media Pro finds these files but PM+ gives odd results. The catalog has 300k images. If I search for 'status is not empty' I get 0 results. If I search 'status is empty' I get 5. There are 80 files with 'paul' in the status field but a search 'status paul' finds none.

Since 'status' is not a searchable field, the search is defaulting to searching for the words that you've entered, treating 'status' like an ordinary word.

"Status" or "Edit Status" is a deprecated field and its use is discouraged by the IPTC (Metadata Working Group).

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 09:46:54 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Kirk.

It's because it's deprecated that I use it! It's spare, won't have useful existing data and I can use it for an internal admin tag.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 09:51:39 AM »
David,

It's because it's deprecated that I use it! It's spare, won't have useful existing data and I can use it for an internal admin tag.

The Find panel will still work, though it only searches images that already exist in a Contact Sheet (and it is slow.)  So if you can create a Catalog search query that produces results that you think will have a set of hits, you could use the Find panel to make that last bit of selection.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 11:52:08 PM »
Kirk wrote:
The Find panel will still work, though it only searches images that already exist in a Contact Sheet (and it is slow.)  So if you can create a Catalog search query that produces results that you think will have a set of hits, you could use the Find panel to make that last bit of selection.

Thanks Kirk. I thought it easier to move the contents of the 'status' field to the (unused here) 'event' field with a Media Pro script and then do a full sync to update the metadata.

David