Author Topic: Full Sync adds new images when it’s not supposed to  (Read 1005 times)

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
Full Sync adds new images when it’s not supposed to
« on: May 07, 2022, 03:13:39 AM »
The documentation for Catalog Sync (https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync) states:
Adding only selected images from folders
Catalog Sync includes all the images from included folders. If you only added a few images from each folder and don't want all the images to be included in any folders, place a path to an empty folder in the Folders to Include in Sync list. A Full Sync on such a catalog will then scan for missing files, and update metadata from existing files, but not add new files.

I tried this to make sure all metadata in the catalog was current, but no new files was to be added. I ran it two times on two different hard drives. Both times new images was added (.

As per attached screen shot, the folder _PM_SYNC_EXCLUDE is the empty folder. Should it be placed inside the folders which are to be synced? Or is it correctly placed but not respected by the full sync?

I've attached the debug log, in case it is requested.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Full Sync adds new images when it’s not supposed to
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 06:50:09 AM »
Michael,

The documentation for Catalog Sync (https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001161171-catalog-sync) states:
Catalog Sync includes all the images from included folders. If you only added a few images from each folder and don't want all the images to be included in any folders, place a path to an empty folder in the Folders to Include in Sync list. A Full Sync on such a catalog will then scan for missing files, and update metadata from existing files, but not add new files.

I tried this to make sure all metadata in the catalog was current, but no new files was to be added. I ran it two times on two different hard drives. Both times new images was added (.

As per attached screen shot, the folder _PM_SYNC_EXCLUDE is the empty folder. Should it be placed inside the folders which are to be synced? Or is it correctly placed but not respected by the full sync?

It would have to be the only folder that is synced.  You'll have to remove all others (that Derivatives folder, for instance.)  The documentation is not clear enough and I'll see that it is improved.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 07:18:36 AM »
Kirk,

Michael,

It would have to be the only folder that is synced.  You'll have to remove all others (that Derivatives folder, for instance.)  The documentation is not clear enough and I'll see that it is improved.

-Kirk

Excellent, thank you, I got it to work.

Are there any plans of being able to restrict the metadata sync to a part of the catalog, from a folder and below? I'd imagine that users with very large catalogs would benefit.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 08:27:21 PM »
Michael,

Excellent, thank you, I got it to work.

Are there any plans of being able to restrict the metadata sync to a part of the catalog, from a folder and below? I'd imagine that users with very large catalogs would benefit.

No, not at this time, feel free to make a feature request.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 12:35:37 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you. I'll consider that.

/Michael