Author Topic: Transferring Lightroom collections to PM+ collections  (Read 1446 times)

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
Transferring Lightroom collections to PM+ collections
« on: May 09, 2022, 01:19:22 PM »
I'm hoping someone with more experience in PM+ may be able to help me. I use LR collections in the following way and would like to replicate it in PM+ (so I can stop using LR and continue using Capture One). My archive is on external HDs. I've got my Lightroom collections setup like this:

Jobs
   -client A (collection set)
      -project 1 (collection set)
         -RAW files (collection)
         -edited files (collection)
      -project 2
         -RAW files
         -edited files
    -client B
       - project 1

PM+'s UI is a little different than I expected. With two monitors I was hoping I could have LR & PM open on each window. In PM+ I would copy the above structure from LR. Then I was hoping I could look at the folders associated with the collections in LR and within PM+ drag/drop those to the corresponding collections. But that's not possible.

But there's no drag/drop. It looks like the easiest way would be to:
  • plug in the external HDs
  • open each folder as a contact sheet
  • In PM+: select the collection I want that folder of images associated with
  • Select all the images within the contact sheet and either r-click the images and "add to collection" or r-click the collection and "add selected items here."
Is there an easier way to do this? A script? A magic lamp I can rub?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Transferring Lightroom collections to PM+ collections
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 01:34:29 PM »
It looks like the easiest way would be to:
  • plug in the external HDs
  • open each folder as a contact sheet
  • In PM+: select the collection I want that folder of images associated with
  • Select all the images within the contact sheet and either r-click the images and "add to collection" or r-click the collection and "add selected items here."
Is there an easier way to do this? A script? A magic lamp I can rub?

No, that is the way it's done.  Though you shouldn't need to have the drives online if the images are in the catalog already.

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:20:32 AM »
That's a good point. But from my limited experience it's very clunky to do, but maybe you have a suggestion?

Ideally I'd like to have the Browse tab open while also being able to see the Collection tab. That way I know for certain that I'm putting those images in the right collection. As it stands now, when you open the browse tab it always shows the path structure on the L side, and all the other criteria (collections, browse, filter, search) do the same for their respective tools. For me it's inconvenient to have to select with collection I want the images in, switch to the browse tab, select the images, hit command-B, repeat.

I did just try to have two windows open. One window had a Collections tab & one had the Browse tab. That did work. But still seems a little clunky.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »
That's a good point. But from my limited experience it's very clunky to do, but maybe you have a suggestion?

Ideally I'd like to have the Browse tab open while also being able to see the Collection tab. That way I know for certain that I'm putting those images in the right collection. As it stands now, when you open the browse tab it always shows the path structure on the L side, and all the other criteria (collections, browse, filter, search) do the same for their respective tools. For me it's inconvenient to have to select with collection I want the images in, switch to the browse tab, select the images, hit command-B, repeat.

If you select a single image in any contact sheet, the path is shown at the bottom of the window in the status bar.  If that's all the information you need from the Browse tab, you can instead view it in the status bar.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 10:06:15 AM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not really an issue of knowing where the file(s) are. It's more about having to click around through different tabs to get it done. Right now two windows works well enough.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, it's not really an issue of knowing where the file(s) are. It's more about having to click around through different tabs to get it done. Right now two windows works well enough.

It may be that I'm not understanding you correctly.  Is there some other benefit to being able to see the Browse tab's contents while adding images from a Contact Sheet to a Collection besides seeing the path?

-Kirk

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 11:15:08 AM »
haha, yeah...this stuff can be hard to describe. I think I'm just used to Lightrooms UI and it seems a little more simple the way they have things laid out (at least for my immediate purposes). I can have a browser open and with a quick scroll on the L side of the screen I can see my collections. I don't have to navigate to different tabs. Right now having both on the same screen would be really helpful. I could have the Browse open and right below that I could have the Collections open. I could select the images via browse then right click on one of the Collections "folders" and add those images to it. Make sense?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 11:35:20 AM »
haha, yeah...this stuff can be hard to describe. I think I'm just used to Lightrooms UI and it seems a little more simple the way they have things laid out (at least for my immediate purposes). I can have a browser open and with a quick scroll on the L side of the screen I can see my collections. I don't have to navigate to different tabs. Right now having both on the same screen would be really helpful. I could have the Browse open and right below that I could have the Collections open. I could select the images via browse then right click on one of the Collections "folders" and add those images to it. Make sense?

Yes.  Yes, it does.

-Kirk