Author Topic: IPTC fields retaining previous image's data when moving to next image  (Read 1674 times)

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6496 (19d779b) on a 2021 24" iMac, Apple M1, macOS Monterey version 12.4

Since updating to this version, I am seeing that the IPTC/MetaData information entered is being retained in the next image, or usually not refreshing at all in the IPTC/MetaData fields when switching from one image to the next. The image in the preview pane changes immediately, but the IPTC information will retain the data in the previous image when moving to the next. I shoot for a photo wire service, and when sending images most of my IPTC fields remain the same for each image - I mainly change the caption to reflect the action in that shot. However, the same caption info I put in a current image is retained in the caption field when I click to the next image I need to change. I hope this makes sense, but it's a pretty big annoyance especially when speed is of the essence when moving images to the wire.

I was not experiencing this behavior in the previous version, and so have not updated my MacBook Pro M1 to this build as of yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Denny Medley
Random Photography, LLC

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
I am not able to reproduce this issue and have no one else report this.

What is the "next" photo in this regard (how are the files sorted)? How many images in a row does this happen on (e.g. if you don't modify the caption on the second photo, does the third one get the same caption as well? Can this be repeated ad infinitum for the rest of the folder?

Are these RAW files or JPEGs? Are all images from the same camera?

If you enter your caption, then click 'OK', and then go to the next image and open the info panel, does it have the caption that you added to the prior image? If you go to a random file further along, does it also have that caption?

The prior builds are available for download in the Announcements forum. Does reverting to a prior build resolve this issue?

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello, and thanks for the very quick response!

By 'next photo', I'm referring to when I enter a caption in the Metadata info field, I then click on the "Save & ->" button to advance to the next photo. When I do that, the previous caption I've written stays in the Description/Caption: box, when it should be blank or contain the standard .xmp file I have pre-loaded into all of the images.

I generally only work with .jpg files, especially when using PM for sports photography, which I primarily use it with. And it happens with images from multiple cameras (I shoot primarily with two Sony a9ii bodies).

While I usually use that "save & ->' button when entering caption info, I did try your suggestion of clicking OK, then going back to the contact sheet, enlarging the next image and then clicking the "I" to get into the metadata entry area, and it's the same result.

HOWEVER...after testing this further, it seems that the caption/metadata info IS actually refreshing, but it takes several seconds for the old caption to disappear and the new, black area to appear on each image. I'm wondering if there's a cache setting perhaps that's keeping it from immediately refreshing when moving to the 'next' image?

I have not tried downloading and installing a previous build to see if that fixes the issue yet.

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Even further update:

It seems that when this happens (previous caption remains in the caption field in the metadata entry area) when I click to the next photo, if I move my mouse pointer into the caption entry area (not clicking in it, just moving the mouse pointer there), then the data refreshes and displays just the default IPTC info that I have previously input during image injest.

Very strange.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
HOWEVER...after testing this further, it seems that the caption/metadata info IS actually refreshing, but it takes several seconds for the old caption to disappear and the new, black area to appear on each image. I'm wondering if there's a cache setting perhaps that's keeping it from immediately refreshing when moving to the 'next' image?

There is no caching setting that I know of. I can't think of any situation where the behavior you are describing would be desirable.

What is the "black area" that is appearing? This is really strange behavior that you are describing. Is there any way you could make a screen recording where you demonstrate this behavior? If you'd prefer not to post it publicly you can send a link to support@camerabits.com, or I can provide credentials for an FTP server to upload it to.

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
What I meant by 'black area' was miss-stated. I meant it to mean the Description/Caption area of the next image.
I'll attach a screen recording of what's happening. As it shows, the caption info only changes on the next photo in the contact sheet when I move the mouse pointer in the caption area, not clicking in it, just the movement seems to make it change. Or, if I wait maybe 10 seconds or so, it will change from the previous caption to the static IPTC info I've already input there on injest.

This behavior only started with this current build - I didn't change anything in the PM preferences, or my iMac configuration either.

Any ideas?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
The support team and I made many attempts to reproduce this without much luck.

Since the issue started with the current build, can you please revert to the prior build and let me know if the problem stops happening? I don't really expect that it will, but there is only one way to find out, and we should eliminate. Here is a link to download the previous build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15064.0

Does this issue now happen for every single image, regardless of the device that stores it (for example, if you are using an external drive in the video, can you see what happens with those images in a local folder)?

Couldn't hurt for us to take a look at the Photo Mechanic log file (Help -> Reveal Support Data -> PM_log.zip)

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
OK...I downloaded the previous build, build 6474 (389323d) as referenced in that link you provided. I then opened up a folder of previous images (various shots), and the hesitation is NOT there when switching to the next image in the IPTC/Metadata info panels (where I add my caption info).
So apparently it's something about the newer build that's causing it.

Before I overwrote the current build with this previous one, I also verified that the same behavior is happening whether using a folder of images from an attached DROBO storage device, OR images on my local iMac hard drive - the same hesitation and not immediately refreshing the caption/IPTC data is occurring.

I also recorded the process with the older build (6474), and those files are attached to this reply, along with the log file.

It's weird behavior, and I'm holding off updating my version on my MacBookPro until we can resolve it because that is the main machine I use when covering games (and it would drive me crazy).  ;)

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Wanted to check back in and see if there had been any progress on diagnosing this issue?
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Denny,

Wanted to check back in and see if there had been any progress on diagnosing this issue?
Thanks

We're unable to reproduce the problem.  But I have added some code that I think should solve the problem.  If I were to make you a build, would you be willing to download and test it?

-Kirk

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC fields retaining previous image's data when moving to next image
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 04:23:36 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Absolutely I would be willing to download and test it out!

Just let me know!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 02:39:39 PM »
Denny,

Please give this build a try: https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR6499_b8c6a0f3.dmg

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 03:55:36 PM »
KIRK!

You are a miracle worker! That build works perfectly - changes the caption and all of the metadata immediately when using either the 'save & ->' button or just either the right and left arrow keys. And it works with galleries both on my local HD, as well as ones on my attached DROBO drives.

Thank you very, very much! I'll feel better about loading this build now on my M1 MacBookPro, which is the laptop I use when shooting games to transmit to the wire service. That is awesome!

I'm very curious to know what caused the issue, of course. As well as to hear if anyone else has experienced the same issue on other machines.

Thanks again very, very much!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 04:01:18 PM »
Denny,

I'm very curious to know what caused the issue, of course. As well as to hear if anyone else has experienced the same issue on other machines.

Fixing an issue where using Undo would cause a field to become completely blank caused the issue that you experienced.

-Kirk

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 04:03:48 PM »
Ahh...cool.
Well, I'm certainly glad you found and fixed it!  I very much appreciate it. Gonna make my daily workflow MUCH smoother.

Thanks again