Author Topic: Getting Capture One & PM to talk with each other  (Read 951 times)

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
Getting Capture One & PM to talk with each other
« on: June 10, 2022, 01:04:06 PM »
Based on my current settings (pictured below) when I edit the metadata of a raw photo in PM it will automatically show up in Capture One. When I edit the metadata in CO I have to sync metadata (via right click) in order for the metadata to show up in PM.

I thought this would be the same for the Output folder in CO (where I'm working with jpgs & tifs). But it's not. Is there a way to fix this?

I know about this article, but for some reason something isn't working for me.

I'm using CO 21: 14.4.1.16
PM6: build 6496

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Capture One & PM to talk with each other
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 01:24:13 PM »
Dont you want Capture One's "Auto sync sidecar XMP" to be set to Full Sync so that it writes the metadata back to the XMP file?

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 03:20:03 PM »
I could but I would rather not. I'm trying not to input metadata within CO. Plus, I read here that auto sync can slow down CO (would it be noticeably slow, I'm not sure).

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 04:50:38 PM »
I could but I would rather not. I'm trying not to input metadata within CO. Plus, I read here that auto sync can slow down CO (would it be noticeably slow, I'm not sure).
What is the “Output” folder? Is this something that capture one creates of jogs and tiffs? Are they arriving their metadata to XMP sidecar files for these jpgs and tiffs?

Offline bcarlsonphoto

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 10:00:40 AM »
It's the way CO structures their folders. When you export a jpg or tif the file will go into that folder, though you can specify a different location.

I asked this same question in the comments of this article and apparently what I'm wanting to do is not possible. Even if you set CO to Full Sync the sidecar XMP it won't update the metadata in a way that PM recognizes it, though it does work with CR3 files surprisingly enough. Considering CO is a great image editor and PM is a great browser (and PM+ seems to be a great cataloger), this is really unfortunate and makes cataloging all the more difficult.