Author Topic: Overview of keywords of multiple images?  (Read 1366 times)

Offline thomaskyhn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Overview of keywords of multiple images?
« on: June 16, 2022, 05:24:20 AM »
Is there any way to get an overview of the keywords of multiple images?

In Lightroom and Capture One it's easy to see what keywords are assigned to a number of images, but I haven't figured out how to do this in PM yet.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Overview of keywords of multiple images?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »
Thomas,

In Lightroom and Capture One it's easy to see what keywords are assigned to a number of images, but I haven't figured out how to do this in PM yet.

You could make the keywords variable be one of your thumbnail labels and then you'll see them below the thumbnails.

Are you looking for a report?

-Kirk

Offline thomaskyhn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 09:35:42 AM »
Thomas,

You could make the keywords variable be one of your thumbnail labels and then you'll see them below the thumbnails.

Are you looking for a report?

-Kirk

Thanks for your reply.

What I was looking for was a way of seeing a list of the keywords assigned to the currently selected images – including which keywords are common to all of these images, and which are assigned only to some of them. Like the Keywords tool in Capture One and the Keywording panel in Lightroom.

Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »
Thomas,

What I was looking for was a way of seeing a list of the keywords assigned to the currently selected images – including which keywords are common to all of these images, and which are assigned only to some of them. Like the Keywords tool in Capture One and the Keywording panel in Lightroom.

There is no equivalent in Photo Mechanic Plus at this time.

-Kirk

Offline thomaskyhn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
Thomas,

-Kirk

Thanks for all your help.

Being used to Capture One and Lightroom I find it difficult to get any proper overview of metadata in Photo Mechanic as there's be no way of viewing the data of more than one image at a time (as far as I understand), and no panel that will show the data of the image(s) currently selected in the contact sheet. You have the metadata window, but as far as I've understood you can only move one image at a time in either direction, no scrolling and no way of selecting more than one image.

Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 12:22:07 PM »
Thomas,

Thanks for all your help.

Being used to Capture One and Lightroom I find it difficult to get any proper overview of metadata in Photo Mechanic as there's be no way of viewing the data of more than one image at a time (as far as I understand), and no panel that will show the data of the image(s) currently selected in the contact sheet. You have the metadata window, but as far as I've understood you can only move one image at a time in either direction, no scrolling and no way of selecting more than one image.

You're right.  Data visualization could be improved.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
I'm curious about what tasks you're looking to accomplish.  While there are no direct analogs to the features you've described in C1 and LR, there are ways to see all the keywords/metadata for a selected set of photos -- The text exporter can quickly generate a text file (or even a spreadsheet)  that shows whatever metadata you choose from a specific selection of photos.  I am not sure if any of this could be used as a workaround for what you are looking for -- I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper overview."  For many tasks, of course, a spreadsheet might not be at all helpful -- but if you have a specific goal in mind, there might be alternate ways to do it.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline thomaskyhn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 12:13:26 AM »
I'm curious about what tasks you're looking to accomplish.  While there are no direct analogs to the features you've described in C1 and LR, there are ways to see all the keywords/metadata for a selected set of photos -- The text exporter can quickly generate a text file (or even a spreadsheet)  that shows whatever metadata you choose from a specific selection of photos.  I am not sure if any of this could be used as a workaround for what you are looking for -- I guess it depends on what you mean by "proper overview."  For many tasks, of course, a spreadsheet might not be at all helpful -- but if you have a specific goal in mind, there might be alternate ways to do it.

When adding/editing keywords (and this goes for other metadata as well) I find it useful to be able to quickly 1) select a number of photos and see what keywords are assigned to them – to determine if anything’s missing, etc. – as well as 2) add additional/delete unnecessary keywords for all selected images in one step without having to open and close additional windows, copy and paste settings, etc. As it is, none of this seems to be possible in PM.

While PM has many advantages, being restricted to seeing the metadata of one image at a time feels a little like working through a keyhole, seeing only a tiny part of what you're working on at any time.