Author Topic: Catalog Sync occasional problems  (Read 824 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
Catalog Sync occasional problems
« on: June 29, 2022, 04:54:02 AM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6496 (19d779b) on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro.

It's a long story as to why I'm doing this, but I rate jpgs processed from RAW by an old process as 2-star, so I can easily do a certain search and exclude the 2-stars and see what I have left to go. Most of the time, it works just fine. But sometimes, images I've tagged as 2-star show up with their old star rating, and so don't get excluded. I've done multiple Full Catalog Syncs to no avail. Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog Sync occasional problems
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 09:21:53 AM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6496 (19d779b) on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on a 15-inch 2019 MacBook Pro.

It's a long story as to why I'm doing this, but I rate jpgs processed from RAW by an old process as 2-star, so I can easily do a certain search and exclude the 2-stars and see what I have left to go. Most of the time, it works just fine. But sometimes, images I've tagged as 2-star show up with their old star rating, and so don't get excluded. I've done multiple Full Catalog Syncs to no avail. Any ideas?

Where are you doing this 2-star to some other star rating?

The Sync feature looks at the modification date of the files and if they're newer than the modification date recorded in the catalog, the catalog is updated.  Is the modification date being updated when you make the star rating change?

-Kirk

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
Re: Catalog Sync occasional problems
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:37:35 AM »

Where are you doing this 2-star to some other star rating?

The Sync feature looks at the modification date of the files and if they're newer than the modification date recorded in the catalog, the catalog is updated.  Is the modification date being updated when you make the star rating change?

I rate all images from 1-5 stars, but then separate them into two folders: one for 1-2 stars and another for 3-5 stars. I rarely look at the 1-2 stars again, focusing my work on the best images. For over a decade I had a process that produced soft, dreamy images that I found romantic, but which many people complained about for lack of clarity. So a couple years ago, I moved to a new process that produced crisper and more vibrant images. I rarely process every 3-5 star image in a shoot, usually getting only some of the best or most useful ones, so I want to reprocess the RAW images to create JPGs according to the new system. So I appended "old" to the filename of the old soft ones as an easy-to-see flag. Once I've created the new one, I give the old one a 2-star rating and move it to the 1-2-star folder so I don't mistakenly use an old one instead of the new.

As for the modification date, I just tested and it is being updated when I make the star rating change. From your clue on the Missing folder in the other thread, I think what it's telling me is "there was once an image that looked like this and was named this, and with this rating, but it's not there anymore." But why it does it for some and not for other I have no clue.