Author Topic: Filter by Status?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
Filter by Status?
« on: September 01, 2022, 05:38:50 AM »
I'm looking for a method more durable than the checkbox to save the status of an image. Specifically, I'm doing an extreme makeover of my Zenfolio site, and want to indicate when an image is ready to go to the new site. I thought the Status>Edit Status field might be the place to enter "Zenfolio-ready" or whatever, but I don't seem to be able to filter by this field. Am I missing something? Or is there a better field to use for this sort of task? Obviously, I don't want it in the Description or Keywords.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filter by Status?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 07:17:05 AM »
I'm looking for a method more durable than the checkbox to save the status of an image. Specifically, I'm doing an extreme makeover of my Zenfolio site, and want to indicate when an image is ready to go to the new site. I thought the Status>Edit Status field might be the place to enter "Zenfolio-ready" or whatever, but I don't seem to be able to filter by this field. Am I missing something? Or is there a better field to use for this sort of task? Obviously, I don't want it in the Description or Keywords.

There is no filtering on Edit Status.  Edit Status is a supported field in Photo Mechanic Plus but it is not indexed.  You should consult the list of searchable fields and use a different one for this purpose.

The Edit Status field was deprecated by the IPTC a while ago and is no longer supported by some apps.

-Kirk

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 06:57:10 AM »
Thanks, Kirk! I'm making progress. I've settled on the Event field for "Zenfolio-ready" and later tags for when I've actually posted the images to Zenfolio, etc. Now, I'm trying to create a filter for star rating, event field empty, and Description/Caption not empty. The first two are easy, but I'm not seeing Description/Caption anywhere in the filter fields, either in the first fields that come up (Folder Path, File Type, Color Class...) or any of the IPTC fields or subfields. Am I missing something? Or is it called something else? Can't imagine you couldn't filter for whether or not Description/Caption is empty.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:30:29 AM »
I tried this -- using the Custom Search filter option, with "caption is not empty" -- and it seems to do what you're looking for, if I am understanding correctly.    If I were doing this myself, I would do it all in the search tab as a saved search but I get that my mental model may differ from yours. Both methods should be valid as far as I know. :-)

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 03:52:12 PM »
Hadn't thought of that... thanks, Mick! Elementary question, because until now I've used the filter tool when looking for a color class or star rating: how do you search for a star rating in the search tab?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 03:58:04 PM »
That type of query is actually covered in our example searches: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077445-photo-mechanic-plus-search#Search-examples

We also have the complete list of searchable fields (Kirk alluded to this in a prior post) here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001160827