Author Topic: Zoom- and Crop handling  (Read 711 times)

Offline Stefan_E

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Zoom- and Crop handling
« on: September 11, 2022, 10:10:06 AM »
I'm reaching the end of my trial period and like the program very much (still not sure I continue, as it doesn't fit into a mobile workflow, but that's another matter). I came across a number of rough corners though, especially in the Preview window:
  • I can use keys 1..8 for color labeling. But if View Crop (P) is enabled, that no longer works. There seems to be no fundamental reason for that as the right-click menu still allows to change color labeling
  • when I zoom, I can use left mouse button to drag displayed area. But when Crop is also enabled, I need shift-left button to drag. Left button alone shifts the crop window around (which you only discover when having exited zoom... by which time you might be on another picture...)
    • It doesn't make sense to shift a crop window with no visual feedback because all crop corners are outside the displayed canvas ...
    • Even if the full crop window is in the displayed canvas, it's difficult to do the mental acrobatic what (shift-)left is doing at any moment
    • The un-expected crop window movements are of course especially annoying as there is no Undo (^Z)
    Proposal would be that when either Zoom or View Crop is enabled, left is dragging display area; only if all four corners (or at least one?) of crop window are visible, left moves crop area
  • used to LR, where cropping is accepted with double-click, I tend to double-click when I'm happy with the cropping result. Which of course kicks me out of the Preview. This should be configurable.
  • when doing side-by-side preview, one photo has dark background - but there is no indication, which photo in the film strip that is. Proposal woud be to
    • provide both photo file names at the bottom (between the star and color label indicators)
    • keep the bright photo as yellow in the film strip but provide a dull color for the "other" photo
    (yes, the same thing confuses me in LR...)
  • another annoyance from LR which does not need be repeated in PM: The Crop Settings should at least have an option to lock down crop constraints for all future crops - I often want all my crops be in a 16x9 ratio for TV displaying
  • in-camera crop settings (such as 16x9 in my Canon R5) are not taken over when ingesting photos

Hope these issues can be addressed in a future release

Stefan