Author Topic: Stack Bursts of Images (20-120+fps) that mirrorless cameras put out  (Read 957 times)

Offline davequick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dave Quick on Instagram
My use case:
• Nikon Z9 (brand/camera irrelevant other than an example - all the mirrorless bodies have a similar set of features) shooting 120fps for tennis/golf/baseball swing I use burst JPEG shooting - this can produce thousands of images from an event
• Often these are used to regenerate a video clip for instagram/facebook from stills
• Ideally it would be great to highlight a couple still frames that are best images from that sequence

Ideal usable scenario for me:
• group photos based on frame by frame time deltas - have a setting that asks me to determine when a sequence is thought to be a "stack".  i.e. 20fps? 30fps? 60fps? 120fps?  and then take all groupings of images that are a single sequence and display it as a single thumbnail
• image "stacks" are filterable as a selection so I can then set a color/category for them
• if I'm in full screen preview/review screen indicate visually (title bar, other indicator, whatever) that I am in one of these sequences
• if I'm in full screen preview/review screen allow a modifier key to "fast forward" out of that stack to the next stack or the next non-stacked image (i.e. right arrow goes to next image in stack but shift-right arrow goes to next stack or next image that has a rating/category withinn a stack - make is settable?)
• would be great if in the thumbnails view you could just hover from left to right of the thumbnail and it'd play the series of stills
• would be great if the thumbnail shown for a "stack" was the first image with a rating/category/something (make it key off the same setting as two bullets up)
• would be great to show these in a way that you could pull in / trim/mark for deletion of the begging or ending frames - i.e. similar to the edit video trimming done by the iphone on videos.  images shot in this way are close to or beyond what most video is for framerate. 

For games and events where I make use of these features on the existing photo mechanic workflows I've used for a decade are a drudgery - I typically have to run through in thumbnail and manually mark these sequences with an unused color/category and then move them out of the folder or filter them out or my time is completely wasted.  The features as described above would make photo mechanic more than useful in the new era of camera features and enable massive speedups in workflow for anyone using those new mirrorless features.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:03:41 PM by davequick »

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Re: Stack Bursts of Images (20-120+fps) that mirrorless cameras put out
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 07:46:11 AM »
I like this idea and support it in general, but as I recall there are software patent issues that preclude it.  But if at all possible, please implement it (although I am not sure about all of the details eneumerated above).

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 11:32:11 AM »
I could see this being useful in the contact sheet, as long as in preview mode I'd be able to scroll uninterrupted from one "stack" into the next.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Jeff Vogan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 08:12:30 AM »
I am not sure why a patent would be required.  There could be a variable in the contact sheet that would auto stack images that were taken within, for example, 0.1 seconds of each other.  This would be an interesting and useful feature, especially with the latest cameras high fps rates.