Author Topic: All Images in Catalog are showing as off line  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
All Images in Catalog are showing as off line
« on: September 23, 2022, 04:49:08 PM »
Hi,

At some point today, all my images are showing in my catalog as offline. The files have not been moved and they're all still there in the same, unchanged, file structure. Is there a way to re direct or reconnect the files with the catalog. If I run Catalog sync all 85000+ images show as offline, but they are actually there. I must have done something, but I have no idea what that might have been.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: All Images in Catalog are showing as off line
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2022, 05:14:06 PM »
My best guess is that a folder name somewhere in the path to your images got modified.

Go to one of these images where the catalog says that the file is offline. Click on it and look at the path at the bottom of the Photo Mechanic contact sheet window.

Next, go to this file where you know it to exist on the drive, and open the folder that contains the file as a Contact Sheet (you should now have a "Browse" contact sheet and a Contact Sheet named after the folder that you just opened. Select the image and look at the path.

Please post a screenshot of both of these paths using "Attachments and other options" when composing your reply.

EDIT: While I said a screenshot of the path, a screenshot of the entire Photo Mechanic window is usually more helpful and helps ensure that we are looking at the right thing.

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2022, 05:36:18 PM »
I've attached a screenshot of the browser and PM. I think the paths look the same.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2022, 05:53:13 PM »
Those are not offline files, those are files not included in a catalog. Offline files (files that are included in a catalog but the catalog cannot find) will show a yellow dot. My request was for 2 screenshots of Photo Mechanic: one where the Browse tab has been expanded to that folder and that folder is selected (which will show images as online if it can find them at their last known path or offline if it can't), with the path at the bottom showing, and the second being what you have sent, a screenshot where you opened the folder directly as a contact sheet.

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »
I'm a little confused here. All files were in the catalog until some point earlier today. So those files are now shown as not included in the catalog they were previously in part of the catalog. In fact, I have 85000+ images that are now in this state. At this time, I have not attached images that are part of the catalog. they. All files are shown as missing.

At this time, I have no files that show online. All fileds you've seen were online, i don't know why they show as missing now.

sorry I haven't gotten the terminology correct.

I have no image files that are show online. All files in the catalog are shown as offline while they should be shown as online.

I've attached a screen shot of a catalog sync to hopefully better show the issue.

I'm giving up for the night and will check in the morning.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 09:58:55 PM »
I'm a little confused here. All files were in the catalog until some point earlier today. So those files are now shown as not included in the catalog they were previously in part of the catalog. In fact, I have 85000+ images that are now in this state. At this time, I have not attached images that are part of the catalog. they. All files are shown as missing.

At this time, I have no files that show online. All fileds you've seen were online, i don't know why they show as missing now.

sorry I haven't gotten the terminology correct.

I have no image files that are show online. All files in the catalog are shown as offline while they should be shown as online.

I've attached a screen shot of a catalog sync to hopefully better show the issue.

I'm giving up for the night and will check in the morning.

Cheers,
Alan
Your Sync operation is looking for a folder called "Pictures" on drive W:
Your first screenshot showed images contained in a folder called "My Pictures" on drive W:

Is there both a folder called "Pictures" and a folder called "My Pictures" on the root level of drive W:? Or is there only a folder called "My Pictures" (that was previously called “Pictures” when it’s contents were added to the catalog)?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:20:45 AM by ahoward »

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022, 09:53:23 AM »
There is only one directory called 'My Pictures'. This called pictures at first but then changed to 'My Pictures'. This was done about 10 months ago when I was first setting up this computer and was having problems with Microsoft OnDrive. There has never been both a 'Pictures' and 'My Pictures' in the 'W:\' route directory. I had not changed and directory names in the 'W:\' route directory yesterday.

I did have an issue with OnDrive yesterday, with how it related to the Desktop. I'm now thinking it will be best to remove OnDrive first before doing anything else. all I used OnDrive for was to move pictures taken with my phone to the computer. There are other ways to do this, I used it because Microsoft by default pushed it on to me.