Author Topic: PM workflow with 2 cameras ?  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Raphael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM workflow with 2 cameras ?
« on: October 15, 2022, 01:14:51 AM »
Hi,

Next week i am traveling abroad for a photojournalism assignment. I will use 2 cameras (2 memory cards)
I’ll make sure the time will be synched between the 2 cameras.

I would like to have the file names unique (ie: YYMMDD-HHMMSS) before importing to Lightroom.

What workflow would you suggest ?

Thanks !

ODThomas

Re: PM workflow with 2 cameras ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 03:11:58 AM »
Use PM to ingest the files to a folder, with the required unique file name. Then ADD the folder into the LR catalog.

Using your suggested file name should be enough, as I doubt you will shoot 2 images on the different cameras at the exact same second, but, just in case, add a sequence number to the file name if you feel it necessary.

Personally, I’d use just the date and a sequence number, as I don’t require a date and time usually. If I need to know the time a photograph was shot I’d use metadata from the camera, same if I wanted to know the camera used.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 08:08:39 AM »
You'll want to get familiar with variables if you are not already: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207639-introduction-to-photo-mechanic-variables

In particular you would rename using the following string:

{year2}{month0}{day0}-{hour0}{min}{sec}

Offline DizzyReed

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 03:06:49 AM »
I work a lot with two cameras and with my workflow, I wanted a simple solution - one folder with pix from both cameras, chronologically sorted. so I added "model" variable and it is saving me, at least it does working with Nikon cameras. I also used a special instruction - "model:6", and it shows only a camera model, without the name. was working with Canon once, and it didn't work well, I just used "model" variable and it worked well.

still searching for better solution, though ...

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 10:26:41 AM »
You might consider using a Code Replacement file with the model name as the code and the replacement text as whatever you want to see for that camera model.  Just use ={model}= where you want to see or use the camera model.  I have attached my camera model code replacement text file in case you would like to try it.  Go to the Edit menu -> Settings -> Set Code Replacements.  Click the Add button to add the PM-CR-Camera-Models.txt file.  Now try using the ={model}=  variable in one of the Contact Sheet label fields to show the model under the filename.

--Bob

Offline jeffw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 08:34:39 AM »
Thumbs Up - Much better than having a different ingest for each camera so now I can use the "auto ingest" instead of manually picking my saved specific camera model variable "wacking" import folder path and then doing the ingest.
-- Jeff