Author Topic: PM plus and Synology  (Read 1499 times)

Offline paulfromsteg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM plus and Synology
« on: December 09, 2022, 11:31:34 AM »
Hi I am new to this forum

PM plus is a great program! We are a small heritage foundation that uses a synology server to store our photo's (>100.000), video, documents, maps etc. Because  we have to add a lot of IPTC data  it would be very handy if our  volunteers could do that from home. Therefore, the PM Plus data should be stored on a central space and should realtime accurate. I  did read somewhere that it is not handy to have that on the server itself. It there a solution for this/such a  problem? Thank you for looking into it!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 11:35:15 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM plus and Synology
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 11:36:27 AM »
Paul,

PM plus is a great program! We are a small heritage foundation that uses a synology server to store our photo's (>100.000), video, documents, maps etc. Because  we have to add a lot of IPTC data  it would be very handy if our  volunteers could do that from home. Therefore, the PM Plus data should be stored on a central space and should realtime accurate. I  did read somewhere that it is not handy to have that on the server itself. It there a solution for this/such a  problem? Thank you for looking into it!

No, there is no solution to that problem at this time.

-Kirk

Offline krakouer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 04:09:44 PM »
When working between two locations, I used syncthing to sync the two data between computers.

Never had a problem in years but ymmv

Offline MarkMayberry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 02:50:26 PM »
Dear Kirk,

I also use Photo Mechanics Plus on my MacBook Pro (excellent results when accessing local files) and my Windows 10 device. However, when I attempt to access the image files stored on my Synology NAS, Photo Mechanics Plus is VERY slow. I use Resilio Sync to sync files with my various devices. Would I see better results if I tried to access a copy of the image files stored locally on my Windows 10 device and then synced back to the Synology NAS?

Yours,

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 03:37:15 PM »
Mark,

I also use Photo Mechanics Plus on my MacBook Pro (excellent results when accessing local files) and my Windows 10 device. However, when I attempt to access the image files stored on my Synology NAS, Photo Mechanics Plus is VERY slow. I use Resilio Sync to sync files with my various devices. Would I see better results if I tried to access a copy of the image files stored locally on my Windows 10 device and then synced back to the Synology NAS?

Cataloging files on a NAS is going to be slow.  I'm not sure what you'd be syncing back to the NAS?

-Kirk

Offline MarkMayberry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 05:07:01 PM »
Kirk,

I use Resilio Sync to duplicate files that are saved to my Synology NAS so that a synced copy appears on my MacBook Pro, and other devices, such as my Windows 10 device.  Changes made to one sub-directory replicate to all others. So, I am talking about the actual image files. Instead of trying to access my image collection on my NAS, I can access a synced copy of the collection on my Windows 10 device. I set up a test sub-directory today using this arrangement, and Photo Mechanic Plus seems to access it normally. Resilio Sync is similar to Dropbox except that it is Peer-2-Peer rather than cloud-based.

Yours,

Mark