Author Topic: Photos on different harddrives captioned and not captioned  (Read 799 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
Photos on different harddrives captioned and not captioned
« on: December 14, 2022, 10:08:29 AM »
I have a question i got in my archive images what a re not captioned, but i got backup drives where the same images are but captioned and edited with lightroom Photoshop. is it working just to copy the sidecar files to get the caption and the edits from the backup in the archive? ( i have only raw files)

And a second question, is it possible to filter filter only in PM to show only not captioned images?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Photos on different harddrives captioned and not captioned
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 10:48:07 AM »
Lightroom will store all the edits in the Lightroom catalog itself, so just copying the sidecar won't work.  There is a method to tell Lightroom to write metadata to each file, but I am not 100% sure how much of that will get put into the sidecar and if that would work.  I would suggest experimenting on a few copied files and seeing for yourself if it copies over what you need, or asking in the Adobe forums

In Photo Mechanic 6 you can find all images in a Contact Sheet that have empty caption fields.

Bring up the Find window (cmd-f on macOS)
Select "All Items" from the dropdown
Select the checkbox to search Metadata
Select only the checkbox to search Caption
Leave the Search field blank.

This will Select the items in that Contact Sheet with empty caption fields.   Press F2 to filter the Contact Sheet to only show Selected items if needed.

If you are using Photo Mechanic Plus, you can search your entire catalog(s) at once with the search string "caption is empty"

I hope this helps,

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 11:47:39 AM »
thanks, for the tips! Can i still use the "normal PM Version after i upgrade?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus has all the features and functionality of Photo Mechanic 6, with the addition of the catalog database features in an additional tab.  It is possible to keep both PM6 and Photo Mechanic Plus installed, but there shouldn't be a reason to. 

Mick 
Mick O
Camera Bits