Author Topic: Reverse Geocoding Service Update  (Read 2042 times)

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reverse Geocoding Service Update
« on: December 16, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
We have recently completed upgrading the local Reverse Geocoding server to the latest version of Nominatim software (v4.2) as well as the latest OpenStreetMap (OSM) dataset of the world. These updates allow us to perform periodic updates of OSM data so that customers will always have the latest changes introduced by users around the world. It also allows us to enhance some of the data returned so that it is more usable by our customers.

A notable change that users will notice is that the IPTC ‘Location:’ field will have more detail after reverse geocoding.

In order to help ensure a smooth transition to the new server, we offer our customers the opportunity to try out Reverse Geocoding on the new server and look forward to any feedback you may have. We greatly appreciate your involvement.

Instructions for enabling access to the updated Reverse Geocoding Service can be found here:
https://home.camerabits.com/2022/12/15/reverse-geocoding-updates/

Please note that Photo Mechanic will continue to access the original Reverse Geocoding Server unless you follow the steps described above. We hope you find it to be an improvement from before and look forward to your feedback. Thank you!

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Geocoding Service Update
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 02:00:59 PM »
I will be making some changes to the updated Reverse Geocoding Service this afternoon which will affect reliability of the service during this time. I recommend people switch to the production Reverse Geocoding Server until I complete the updates. I will send out a notice when done.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!
-Pablo

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 04:04:23 PM »
All done making changes to the updated Reverse Geocoding server. You are welcome to jump back on with the understanding that it is still considered a test/experimental server.

Changes:
- fixed issue whereby when a gps location does not return a physical address, it was not returning anything. It will now return, at the very least, the country and state.
- fixed issue whereby returned strings (such as state) were coming back abbreviated (ie. Massachusetts was returning as Mass.). Strings are now defaulting to full length.
Note: all these changes were done on the server, does not require change in Photo Mechanic software.

Please post if  you find issues. Much thanks.
-Pablo

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 01:51:02 PM »
Reverse Geocoding server will be down for a few minutes while it is being upgraded. I'll post once upgrade is complete.
Sorry for the disruption.

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 04:57:08 PM »
Updates to make our experimental server our default production server are completed and Reverse Geocoding server is back up and running.

I suggest you visit https://home.camerabits.com/2022/12/15/reverse-geocoding-updates/ to learn more about the updates included in this new server.

For those that have been using the experimental server, please note that this is now our production server by default, so no need to specify an ip address as described in the reverse-geocoding-updates document. All products will point to this new server by default regardless of version of Photo Mechanic.

Please post if  you find issues. Much thanks.
-pablo