Author Topic: Find Uncatalogued Files in a Folder  (Read 677 times)

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find Uncatalogued Files in a Folder
« on: December 19, 2022, 02:13:07 PM »
Is there a way to find uncatalogued files in a folder? I've read there isn't a way to make catalog status a search criteria, but wondering if there is a workaround.  Thank you!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Find Uncatalogued Files in a Folder
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 03:22:08 PM »
Best workaround I can think of would be to add something to an unused metadata field of all catalog items and then do a Find on the contact sheet where you only look in that metadata field and only look for that specific word. Or if you don't use color labels or star ratings for any other purpose, give all the items in the catalog a specific color label or star rating and then filter those out on the Contact Sheet in question.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 05:15:39 PM by ahoward »

Offline TimTh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2022, 07:52:28 AM »
Thank you, I'll give that a try. I don't use stars so that would definitely work. Pretty janky though - hope the feature request for catalog status as a search criteria makes it in sometime. Thanks again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 08:42:37 AM »
There's no way to search a catalog for items unknown to the catalog.

The status indicator (little circle that appears to the right of the thumbnail filename) tells you visually what items are in a catalog, are in a catalog but aren't online, or are not in any currently searched catalog.  The colors are:

Green: online and in one or more catalogs currently selected for searching.
Yellow: offline or missing but known to one or more catalogs currently selected for searching.
Hollow: unknown to any catalogs currently selected for searching.

It would be possible to add a feature that would select unknown images, but it wouldn't be fast like a catalog query would be.  That said, if the folder doesn't have many tens of thousands of images in it, the performance would be good.

-Kirk