Author Topic: reintegrate catalog with external proxies  (Read 818 times)

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
reintegrate catalog with external proxies
« on: December 22, 2022, 08:04:19 AM »
Hello,

again, PM+ lost all the catalogs (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15053.0 and here http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14591.0), so I have to reintegrate them.

Now I have 20 catalogs with external proxies to reintegrate and I have still the same problem:
I can reintegrate the catalog and the external proxies are found, but all the previews are empty when I am offline.
The only way to show the proxies when I am offline is to copy them back to internal. Then they are displayed and I can move them back to the external storage location.
(I don't even have to be online for this action.)
So actually everything is correct, the proxies are there, but for some reason PM+ does not show them.
Is there another solution instead of copying the proxies back and forth for each catalog?

I have also attached the Support data (after the half of the catalogs are copied back and forth).

Best regards
Thomas

PM+ build 6645, Windows 11 Pro 22H2, build 22621.963
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:20:47 AM by bildbaendiger »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: reintegrate catalog with external proxies
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:31:59 AM »
Thomas,

again, PM+ lost all the catalogs (http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15053.0 and here http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14591.0), so I have to reintegrate them.

Now I have 20 catalogs with external proxies to reintegrate and I have still the same problem:
I can reintegrate the catalog and the external proxies are found, but all the previews are empty when I am offline.
The only way to show the proxies when I am offline is to copy them back to internal. Then they are displayed and I can move them back to the external storage location.
(I don't even have to be online for this action.)
So actually everything is correct, the proxies are there, but for some reason PM+ does not show them.
Is there another solution instead of copying the proxies back and forth for each catalog?

I take it that the amprefs.yml file has been lost?  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=14591.msg75524#msg75524

Under what circumstances is the data in the <your user folder>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\catalog_settings being lost?

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 10:50:45 AM »
Hello Kirk,

probably Windows did not exit properly. I have a suspicion that during shutdown the SSD was not properly released. But actually PM was already finished when shutting down.

Is there a way to solve the problem of the not displaying previews after reinporting? Everything seems to be correct, but they are only displayed once they have been copied.

Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 04:47:30 PM »
Thomas,

probably Windows did not exit properly. I have a suspicion that during shutdown the SSD was not properly released. But actually PM was already finished when shutting down.

Is there a way to solve the problem of the not displaying previews after reinporting? Everything seems to be correct, but they are only displayed once they have been copied.

I think the issue is that your setting for the external proxies has been lost (stored in the same place: amprefs.yml) and it would have to be restored before you reintegrate.

The only real solution will be to locate the settings in the Local user profile instead of the Roaming one.  Then it won't change if you go on a trip and log into different servers (I assume this happens after changing your environment in some way, like connecting to different Windows servers while on a trip?).

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 01:24:21 AM »
I re-entered the setting for the external proxies before reintegartion.
The proxies are also found (otherwise I get an error message in red).
And the computer was only used locally with the same setup every time.

I had the same problem recently when I installed a new computer with a new PM+ installation:
First I set in the Catalog Preferences the external Proxy location to the right place and copied the external proxies to it.
The reintegration of the catalogs with the external proxy storage runs well, there were no error, but the previews are not shown.
When I choose the internal storage location, the same proxies, (which where not shown), are moved to internal and then they are shown.
After that I could copy them back without any problems.