Author Topic: 'File error contact sheet rescan needed  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
'File error contact sheet rescan needed
« on: January 03, 2023, 08:47:52 AM »
Hello

After updating PM, I often come across a 'File error contact sheet rescan needed' message in a contact sheet with files I've marked with stars.

Restarting PM fixes the problem - there is nothing wrong with the files.

I have 'automatically rescan when folder contents change' and 'rescan on resume' selected in the contact sheet preferences.

I'm using a M1 MacBook Pro with Monterey.

Help :)

Mads

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 'File error contact sheet rescan needed
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
Mads,

After updating PM, I often come across a 'File error contact sheet rescan needed' message in a contact sheet with files I've marked with stars.

Restarting PM fixes the problem - there is nothing wrong with the files.

Where are the images stored?  That error indicates that the file failed to open when it was requested by PM's caching system.

-Kirk

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 12:01:32 PM »
The files are stored on the internal drive.

Mark that its only the files, I've marked with stars, there is a problem with.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 12:17:31 PM »
Mads,

What other software do you have on your system?  I suspect that some other software, possibly Apple's "Time Machine" may be seeing the file get updated, locks the file while it is backed up, and prevents PM from reading the file for a period of time.  Forcing a rescan manually (Image->Rescan) should correct the issue.

If the other software you're using can be tuned to only backup at the end of the day, then this problem likely will be fixed.

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 12:29:47 AM »
Hi Kirk,

it is the same here on Windows 11.
With the new version 6645 i get noticeably more of these rescan messages. (All images are stored external).

Thomas

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 12:15:32 PM »
Mads,

What other software do you have on your system?  I suspect that some other software, possibly Apple's "Time Machine" may be seeing the file get updated, locks the file while it is backed up, and prevents PM from reading the file for a period of time.  Forcing a rescan manually (Image->Rescan) should correct the issue.

If the other software you're using can be tuned to only backup at the end of the day, then this problem likely will be fixed.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Thanks for your help.

I'm using Jottacloud for cloud backup, but I've used that for years, without the problem.

The manually rescan - (Image->Rescan)  doesn't work. Only a restart of PM works and make the files visible again.

Mads

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 12:47:35 PM »
Mads,

I'm using Jottacloud for cloud backup, but I've used that for years, without the problem.

The manually rescan - (Image->Rescan)  doesn't work. Only a restart of PM works and make the files visible again.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 01:27:18 PM »
Thanks again.

The log is attached.

Mads

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 01:48:28 PM »
Mads,

The log is attached.

Thanks for the log file.  There certainly are a lot of errors accessing files on your system at various points in time.

Looks like you're working with NEF files.  Are you using XMP sidecar files or are you having PM embed metadata into your NEF files?

-Kirk

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 01:37:59 AM »
Mads,

The log is attached.

Thanks for the log file.  There certainly are a lot of errors accessing files on your system at various points in time.

Looks like you're working with NEF files.  Are you using XMP sidecar files or are you having PM embed metadata into your NEF files?

-Kirk

Both, I think. But it seems, the problem only occurs with NEF files marked with stars in PM. Beside stars, I don't embed any data.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 02:05:43 PM »
Mads,

The log is attached.

-Kirk

Both, I think. But it seems, the problem only occurs with NEF files marked with stars in PM. Beside stars, I don't embed any data.

Please go to Photo Mechanic's Preferences, and go to the section for IPTC/XMP. In there, under "For TIFF-Based RAW photos (non-DNG)", which boxes are checked?

Offline Mads Dalegaard

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 12:35:52 AM »
Mads,

The log is attached.

-Kirk

Please go to Photo Mechanic's Preferences, and go to the section for IPTC/XMP. In there, under "For TIFF-Based RAW photos (non-DNG)", which boxes are checked?

I've attached a screenshot of the IPTC/XMP.