Author Topic: update gps coordinates of a raw jpeg pair  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
update gps coordinates of a raw jpeg pair
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:57:56 AM »
Would you please please implement an option under the Tools menu that allows the updating of the gps coordinates of either of a raw jpeg pair from the other, that is, a tool just like the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool except that it acts on gps coordinates.

Clearly there is no fundamental reason why this can't de done because it can be done on a single image by selecting that image, separating the raw from the jpeg (crtl j -- they are both now still selected), choosing the menu option "image / set GPS Coordinates...", navigate to the source file and then choose "Apply to All".  That works but it it pain when you have a large number of images to be updated.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: update gps coordinates of a raw jpeg pair
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 08:22:12 AM »
Would you please please implement an option under the Tools menu that allows the updating of the gps coordinates of either of a raw jpeg pair from the other, that is, a tool just like the "Update IPTC/XMP..." tool except that it acts on gps coordinates.

Clearly there is no fundamental reason why this can't de done because it can be done on a single image by selecting that image, separating the raw from the jpeg (crtl j -- they are both now still selected), choosing the menu option "image / set GPS Coordinates...", navigate to the source file and then choose "Apply to All".  That works but it it pain when you have a large number of images to be updated.

How are you getting into the situation where one of the pair has coordinates and the other does not?

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 09:21:11 AM »
When I "develop" a jpeg form the raw file, it doesn't contain the gps data.  I use RawTherapee as my raw processor.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 10:41:58 AM »
Bob,

When I "develop" a jpeg form the raw file, it doesn't contain the gps data.  I use RawTherapee as my raw processor.

I'm not sure what "it" is in the above sentence.  To be clear, the RAW file does have GPS coordinates but the RawTherapee-produced JPEG does not?

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 11:08:09 AM »
That is correct; the RAW file does have GPS coordinates but the RawTherapee-produced JPEG does not.

(That is how I am able to update the jpeg using "image / set GPS Coordinates..." one image at a time.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 12:14:46 PM »
Bob,

That is correct; the RAW file does have GPS coordinates but the RawTherapee-produced JPEG does not.

(That is how I am able to update the jpeg using "image / set GPS Coordinates..." one image at a time.)

While I'm not against adding the feature as requested, it seems like the RawTherapee folks should make sure that all metadata that can be represented in the JPEGs they produce is represented.  Then you wouldn't have this problem at all.  Have you tried contacting them to see if they can add the ability for GPS coordinates to be added to the JPEGs if the RAW file has GPS coordinates?  It may be that they're not aware of the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 01:41:06 PM »
I will try pursuing that option.  But if, in the meantime ...  :)

Thanks
Bob M

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »
I have not pursued this with RawTherapee because I think I now understand the issue a little better.

RawTherapee does not read xmp files, only raw files.  But if I enter the gps data via PhotoMechanic, the gps data is stored in an xmp file (and only an xmp file -- my PhotoMechanic preferences are set to not modify the raw file.)  Consequently, RawTherapee does not produce a jpeg with the gps data embedded because it doesn't know of the gps data.

If on the other hand I use PhotoMechanic to convert the raw file to a dng file and I process the subsequent dng file in RawTherapee, then RawTherapee produces a jpeg with the gps data in its exif data.

So I think that RawTherapee is behaving correctly and as expected with the caveat that it ignores xmp files.  I have no experience with other raw converters to comment on whether ignoring external xmp ifiles is usual or not.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 03:29:17 PM »
Bob,

I have not pursued this with RawTherapee because I think I now understand the issue a little better.

RawTherapee does not read xmp files, only raw files.  But if I enter the gps data via PhotoMechanic, the gps data is stored in an xmp file (and only an xmp file -- my PhotoMechanic preferences are set to not modify the raw file.)  Consequently, RawTherapee does not produce a jpeg with the gps data embedded because it doesn't know of the gps data.

If on the other hand I use PhotoMechanic to convert the raw file to a dng file and I process the subsequent dng file in RawTherapee, then RawTherapee produces a jpeg with the gps data in its exif data.

So I think that RawTherapee is behaving correctly and as expected with the caveat that it ignores xmp files.  I have no experience with other raw converters to comment on whether ignoring external xmp ifiles is usual or not.

XMP sidecar files for metadata on RAW files is the way most metadata-savvy applications deal with RAW files and metadata.  Adobe provides open source libraries for dealing with XMP data so it shouldn't be difficult for them to check for them and utilize them.

Anyhow, your request isn't out of the ordinary so we'll see how popular it is when we consider new features.

-Kirk

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 03:38:02 PM »
Thank you