Author Topic: Monochrome Previews (probably again!)  (Read 562 times)

Offline Skids

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Monochrome Previews (probably again!)
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:06:58 AM »
In another thread Kirk wrote the following:

"If you can shoot RAW+JPEG (and produce a high quality JPEG) then this will work fantastically with Photo Mechanic/Plus.  Photo Mechanic will pair the two (optionally you can keep them separated if you really want to but it would defeat the purpose!) and will use the JPEG for all thumbnail and preview use.  When editing, you can choose if the JPEG or the RAW is sent to your editor.  Metadata changes/renaming/tagging/rating/color labeling will all be in sync.

If you don't mind shooting RAW+JPEG with your camera, it will by far be the best solution if you don't mind wasting the extra space.  Or if your camera allows you to control the size and quality of the embedded JPEG in your ORF files, then choose the highest resolution/fine quality preview."

I am trying to have PM+ display monochrome previews of some of my older images.  One image is an .ORF file that has been converted to .dng.  The preview, read from the dng file, is displayed in full colour inside PM+.  I have created my own monochrome jpeg preview file and saved this in the same folder with the same name as the dng.  Howver, this does not work as the jpg preview is not displayed on its own, and it is not used as the preview of the dng file.  Only when I change the name of my preview file e.g. by adding "mono" to the tail of the filename, am I able to get it to display in pm+.  It seems that the colour preview that is stored inside the .dng file takes precedence.  Is this expected behavior or have I missed a setting?

best wishes

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Monochrome Previews (probably again!)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 09:46:12 AM »
Simon,

In another thread Kirk wrote the following:

"If you can shoot RAW+JPEG (and produce a high quality JPEG) then this will work fantastically with Photo Mechanic/Plus.  Photo Mechanic will pair the two (optionally you can keep them separated if you really want to but it would defeat the purpose!) and will use the JPEG for all thumbnail and preview use.  When editing, you can choose if the JPEG or the RAW is sent to your editor.  Metadata changes/renaming/tagging/rating/color labeling will all be in sync.

If you don't mind shooting RAW+JPEG with your camera, it will by far be the best solution if you don't mind wasting the extra space.  Or if your camera allows you to control the size and quality of the embedded JPEG in your ORF files, then choose the highest resolution/fine quality preview."

I am trying to have PM+ display monochrome previews of some of my older images.  One image is an .ORF file that has been converted to .dng.  The preview, read from the dng file, is displayed in full colour inside PM+.  I have created my own monochrome jpeg preview file and saved this in the same folder with the same name as the dng.  Howver, this does not work as the jpg preview is not displayed on its own, and it is not used as the preview of the dng file.  Only when I change the name of my preview file e.g. by adding "mono" to the tail of the filename, am I able to get it to display in pm+.  It seems that the colour preview that is stored inside the .dng file takes precedence.  Is this expected behavior or have I missed a setting?

Are your DNG files pairing with your monochrome JPEGs?  If so, I expect the JPEG image to be shown when viewing previews and thumbnails.  Changing the name of the JPEG from the same name as the DNG will cause the two files to be no longer paired.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 10:22:40 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Skids

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:45:40 PM »
Thanks for your prompt response.

"Are your DNG files pairing with your monochrome JPEGs? "

They are now but it is not quite as simple as I had hoped.  Once the jpeg preview has been saved I select Catalog > scan to catalog having entered to subject folder, when this completes I then have to select View > rescan to update the display.  Is there a better method ?

Simon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 12:52:30 PM »
Simon,

Thanks for your prompt response.

"Are your DNG files pairing with your monochrome JPEGs? "

They are now but it is not quite as simple as I had hoped.  Once the jpeg preview has been saved I select Catalog > scan to catalog having entered to subject folder, when this completes I then have to select View > rescan to update the display.  Is there a better method ?

The other method would be to use Catalog Sync instead.  In this case they both do the same thing in the end.

-Kirk