Author Topic: Problems with "Update Folder Location"  (Read 771 times)

Offline ibgb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problems with "Update Folder Location"
« on: February 14, 2023, 06:28:39 PM »
I have read: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001164434-how-to-update-the-catalog-location-of-folders-you-have-moved
But that does not work for me.

I created a folder "digitalpics", and Finder moved some existing cataloged folders under that directory. Then I used the instructions above to update their new location, but nothing happened. 
The after move folder structure and after catalog update screenshots are attached.
I closed/reopened folder paths, and even quit/re-opened PM+
It would be silly if I had to delete / re-add the folders.
This is macos 14.6 with afp volume for pic storage, latest PM+

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with "Update Folder Location"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 06:39:01 PM »
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline ibgb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with "Update Folder Location"
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 06:03:49 AM »
Hi, I thought I would give you some feedback. Don't you hate it when there is no feedback and you never know what happened?

After lots of clicking around in the UI I wasn't sure what the state of the catalogue was, so I used Time Machine to restore the catalog from several hours before I started clicking around.

Still, nothing seemed to happen when I followed the instructions and tried to update the folder path. I thought maybe there are more hooks into the state of the PM + software. So I cleaned out all the caches tried again. Still didn't seem to work. Eventually however, the PM + software detected that the catalog needed reintegration. I did the reintegration and then things worked according to the previously mentioned instructions.

What went wrong? One thing I wonder is if I was upgrading the folder path and PM + was busy doing that, but I didn't see any change so I kept clicking while it was working on it. I don't know if that would screw things up. If so, of course the instructions could be modified to observe the catalog metadata update task and wait until it had finished before concluding that nothing happened and more clicking in the UI. Or, perhaps even better, but up a dialogue/progress box that says: Be patient user I'm working on it!

I don't know if PM + can withstand multiple clicks in the U I during all tasks or not. I don't know why things stopped working, but the catalog restore and the reintegration and cache flushes seem to bring everything back to normal. What you think?