Author Topic: FTP Error 229 - Extended Passive Mode Entered  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
FTP Error 229 - Extended Passive Mode Entered
« on: February 24, 2023, 04:10:12 AM »
Hi,

I tried sending files a few days ago via my mobile phone (UK's EE network, personal hotspot - iphone 12 Pro max) and couldn't upload to the picture desk.

I kept getting a "229 - Extended Passive Mode Entered" error.  I've spent 4 days complaining to the mobile company trying to get to the bottom of it, but just discovered using Transmit FTP, I can connect and upload to the same server..  but PM6 (latest build) is throwing up errors.
The last time I know it worked on the same network was back in November - so I reverted back to a pre-November build, but the same error.. 

I'm not sure if the mobile operator has switched to ipv6 or something, but either way - Transmit works, but not PM6 (Nor Forklift for that matter).

The error messages are:

Code: [Select]
FTP Did not receive expected 227 response from server. 229 Extended Passive Mode Entered (|||24071|)
The weird thing is - it works with other people's hotspots on same provider, so it does seem like there's a setting on my mobile account which is causing it - but I'm wondering if it's part of the FTP protocol that hasn't been updated or supported in PM6?
Weirdly - it only happens when tethering to my personal hotspot - it works fine in Wi-Fi..  so that's making me think it's something to do - possibly, with ipv4/ipv6 responses?

There's a few other press photographers I know experiencing the same issue, with the same network provider so it's not just me..  it's also not an issue with my phone because another network sim worked in my phone..

Can anyone shed any light on it please?

J.
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: FTP Error 229 - Extended Passive Mode Entered
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 12:03:49 PM »
if this mobile network uses Ipv6, the FTPv6 file uploader uses IPv6. Does using the FTPv6 uploader resolve the issue for you?

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Re: FTP Error 229 - Extended Passive Mode Entered
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 02:48:08 PM »
Thanks again!

It does indeed look like my mobile network upgraded my account to IPv6 in the last couple of months..  Didn't even realise there was a separate FTP v6 uploader.. 

That has resolved it!

J
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/