Author Topic: rotation shortcuts with german keyboard  (Read 16560 times)

Offline geesbert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • randlkofer photography
rotation shortcuts with german keyboard
« on: May 17, 2007, 01:59:07 PM »
what are the rotation shortcuts with a german mac keyboard? the squared brackets don't exist here.

thanks

stefan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: rotation shortcuts with german keyboard
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 02:03:43 PM »
Stefan,

what are the rotation shortcuts with a german mac keyboard? the squared brackets don't exist here.

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline geesbert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • randlkofer photography
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
wow, that was quick!

mac os X 10.4.9

stefan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:39:29 AM »
Stefan,

wow, that was quick!

mac os X 10.4.9

I finally tracked down some images of some German keyboards, and sure enough, you're right.  I don't have a direct solution for you, but you can do the following:

With a set of selected images, hold down the Option key and then click on either rotation hover button on one of the selected images.  All of the selected images will rotate in the direction of the button you clicked on.  (Windows users would instead hold down the Shift key.)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline geesbert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • randlkofer photography
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 05:25:31 AM »
thanks, kirk. maybe a future release might allow for custom shortcuts?

stefan

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 03:53:04 AM »
Hi, this is how you access the missing keys from German layout keyboard:

The characters ² ³ { [ ] } \ @ € µ ~ are accessed by holding the Alt Gr key and tapping the other key. The Alt key on the left will not access these additional characters.

(from Wikipedia)

The Alt Gr key is the Alt key directly right from Space. It is used in most national keyboard layouts to access alternate characters.

Frantisek

Offline geesbert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • randlkofer photography
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:12:49 AM »
on a laptop i don't have a right alt key. the left alt key with 5 and 6 makes the brackets ( [ ] ), thought they don't work as rotation shortcuts.

Offline Irios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »
We have the same problem on Norwegian keyboards. (Win XP)
There arent any dedicated keys for the square brackets, and to type these characters you have to press ALT+8 and ALT+9. So the rotation keyboard shortcut is simply not possible to use.
Would be nice to see keyboard shortcuts that work on international keyboards too in the near future ;)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:42:24 PM »
Hello, it might interest you to know that there are several programs to redefine keyboard layouts in both Windows and Mac OS X. While it might strike you as strange to make a custom layout just for use with PM, it makes more sense as you look at it - most software's shortcuts are made for US/International layout, which is understandable. There are already bundled better layouts with some operating systems, e.g. "Programmers" versions (which have QWERTY keyboards but still allow the national characters and have all the main [],./\ etc chars in the right place as in US/Intl keyboards). Using the software tools you can even make a keyboard layout that would have the international "programmers" characters in the "right" place (i.e. []/\ ...) but still allow you to enter national accented characters using a "dead key", the best being the right-alt (known as Alt-Graphics, or Alt-Gr key). I.e. pressing Alt-Gr + o results in accented o on my modified keyboard, while the keys most used by the system (/\:-_[]{}) are still in the same usual place as on the international/US keyboard).

Really, you should try that.
My Windows computer is down at the moment, so I don't remember the name of the software I used to create the layout, but there is also Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, freeware from MS to make custom layouts. And on Mac, you can try "Ukulele" which should accomplish the same.

Hope this helps, Frantisek

Offline Irios

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 12:56:54 AM »
Changing the keyboard map just becuase a single application wasnt developed with international keyabord layouts in mind is really not an option. To be honest, Photo Mechanic is the only application I've ever come across that has keyboard shortcuts only available on a US keyboard map.

Our keyboard layout (Norwegian) has all the keys you'll find on a US keyboard, but it has a a different shaped RETURN key, and a smaller left SHIFT key, thus making room for several more keys (ØÆÅ), plus some extra one for various characters like accent, diacritic marks, and punctuation. The only characters that are in the same place on the US layout and the Norwegian one are the letters of the alphabet, the numbers, and "," and "."
So if you wanna move two of the characters, you'll end up re-arranging all your keys ;)

For comparisons...

Norwegian keyboard map

German keyboard map

US keyboard map
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:02:48 AM by Irios »

Offline hjens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »
Our keyboard layout (Norwegian) has all the keys you'll find on a US keyboard, but it has a a different shaped RETURN key, and a smaller left SHIFT key, thus making room for several more keys (ØÆÅ), ..

Norwegian keyboard map

Well.. The Danish layout are quite the same as Norwegian, as I am not normally using rotation of images I just tried to hit our "Å"-key after the P-key, and it rotated the selected image in PM, so there maybe on the German keyboard too in the same position as the US "["-key?
I can't get the next key to give the rotation in the other direction..  :'(

Regards
Henning.

Offline soren steffen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 04:43:25 AM »
On the Danish Mac keyboard Alt + Cmd + 8 rotates right and Alt + Cmd + 9 rotates left.

It works on a German Mac keyboard as well