Author Topic: Metadata not exporting from Photoshop  (Read 2598 times)

Offline jkphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata not exporting from Photoshop
« on: April 10, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
Images are not exporting from Photoshop with any metadata attached (no captions, location etc...)

This has never happened before and workflow remains the same.

I've reinstalled software, checked for updates (apps/OS) and tried alternative Adobe apps to no avail.

I apply metadata template and caption images as normal, go to edit in Photoshop, save images - it's as if metadata doesn't transfer from Photo Mechanic to Photoshop...

MacOS Ventura Version 13.3.1
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99)[/b][/b]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Metadata not exporting from Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 01:59:54 PM »
Images are not exporting from Photoshop with any metadata attached (no captions, location etc...)

This has never happened before and workflow remains the same.

I've reinstalled software, checked for updates (apps/OS) and tried alternative Adobe apps to no avail.

I apply metadata template and caption images as normal, go to edit in Photoshop, save images - it's as if metadata doesn't transfer from Photo Mechanic to Photoshop...

I'm confused by your first and last sentences which, to me, appear to contradict each other.

When you make metadata changes in PM to one of your images and then edit that image in Photoshop, does its info panel show the metadata you set in Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline jkphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 05:39:36 AM »
Apologies -

No it doesn't.

I make metadata changes in PM, edit in photoshop, export images from photoshop as I normally do and no metadata appears in exported the images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:45:35 AM »
Apologies -

No it doesn't.

I make metadata changes in PM, edit in photoshop, export images from photoshop as I normally do and no metadata appears in exported the images.

What kind of images are you working with?

-Kirk

Offline jkphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 07:17:55 AM »
As in file type?

They're RAW (CR2) files, exported to jpg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 08:11:13 AM »
As in file type?

Are you editing the CR2 files or the JPEGs with Photoshop?  When you edit these photos in Photoshop, do they directly open in Photoshop or do they open in the Adobe Camera RAW plugin first?  If you're editing the CR2 files, do you use XMP sidecar files or are you embedding XMP into your CR2 files?

-Kirk

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 12:27:44 PM »
Apologies -

No it doesn't.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding around what Kirk was initially asking. We understand that Photo Mechanic is not showing metadata for the new file that Photoshop is creating; what we want to know is if you can open the file in Photoshop and see the metadata that Photo Mechanic added. If PhotoShop can see the metadata, then the metadata not existing in the newly generated file is likely an issue with what Photoshop is doing to create that file.

Open a RAW file in PhotoShop, then go to the File menu and choose 'File Info'. Click on the 'Basic' view and, for me, the field called 'Description' shows what I entered into the Caption field for that image in Photo Mechanic.

Do you see your caption there?

If you don't, please let us know. If you do, click OK, and then please describe what option you are you choosing next in PhotoShop to generate this new JPEG. If you are going to File > Export > Export As... and choosing JPEG from that window, it gives you two options for metadata: "None" and "Copyright and Contact Info". I wouldn't expect either option to include caption or location information, so if this is the tool that you have always used, maybe Adobe has changed something about how it works. If you are not using the "Export As..." function but you do see the metadata in PhotoShop's File Info window, please let us know what specific items you are clicking on in PhotoShop's menus.

Offline jkphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 03:14:03 AM »
As in file type?

Are you editing the CR2 files or the JPEGs with Photoshop?  When you edit these photos in Photoshop, do they directly open in Photoshop or do they open in the Adobe Camera RAW plugin first?  If you're editing the CR2 files, do you use XMP sidecar files or are you embedding XMP into your CR2 files?

-Kirk

Editing the CR2 files in Photoshop with the Camera Raw 15.2 plug-in opening first.

I don't quite understand what you mean XMP sidecar files / embedding XMP into CR2 files, sorry!

Offline jkphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 03:21:18 AM »
Apologies -

No it doesn't.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding around what Kirk was initially asking. We understand that Photo Mechanic is not showing metadata for the new file that Photoshop is creating; what we want to know is if you can open the file in Photoshop and see the metadata that Photo Mechanic added. If PhotoShop can see the metadata, then the metadata not existing in the newly generated file is likely an issue with what Photoshop is doing to create that file.

Open a RAW file in PhotoShop, then go to the File menu and choose 'File Info'. Click on the 'Basic' view and, for me, the field called 'Description' shows what I entered into the Caption field for that image in Photo Mechanic.

Do you see your caption there?

If you don't, please let us know. If you do, click OK, and then please describe what option you are you choosing next in PhotoShop to generate this new JPEG. If you are going to File > Export > Export As... and choosing JPEG from that window, it gives you two options for metadata: "None" and "Copyright and Contact Info". I wouldn't expect either option to include caption or location information, so if this is the tool that you have always used, maybe Adobe has changed something about how it works. If you are not using the "Export As..." function but you do see the metadata in PhotoShop's File Info window, please let us know what specific items you are clicking on in PhotoShop's menus.

I've followed the above instructions and I do not see the PM metadata in Photoshop - it's just blank.

I always export from Camera Raw 15.2 using the 'Save Image' option.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 10:30:41 AM »
We are going to need to see a sample file in order to assist you with this. Please add your metadata using Photo Mechanic as you normally would, and then upload to our FTP server. I will send the FTP server credentials in a direct message.

One other thought that we had is that maybe you are using a case sensitive file-system and Photoshop is not reading the metadata from the XMP file because the case of the XMP file's extension doesn't match the case of the raw file's extension?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 10:49:43 AM by ahoward »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 10:52:25 AM »
I received your CR2 and its accompanying XMP file on our FTP server. I didn't open it in Photo Mechanic, I only opened it in PhotoShop Camera RAW. I saved out a JPEG by clicking the 3-dot button in Camera RAW and clicking "Save Image -> Save as JPEG". This created a .JPG file in the same location as the CR2. I then clicked Open in Camera RAW so that the file opened in the main Photoshop window. I clicked File Info (so that I was looking at the metadata for the file that was unchanged from the file that you uploaded). All of your metadata was there.

I then went back to Photo Mechanic and viewed the metadata of the file you uploaded, and the metadata of the newly saved JPEG. Both files had all of your metadata. I can send you screenshots or post them here, but I didn't want to post publicly without your permission as it appears to contain personal information.

This is all to say that the file that you uploaded showed all of your metadata in both Photo Mechanic and Photoshop on my computer, which indicates to me that this is either a problem with Photoshop on your computer reading or saving your files. Unfortunately I am going to recommend that you get in touch with Adobe. If you have any doubt that this is a Photo Mechanic issue, I'd be happy to set up a time to get on the phone with you and have you share your screen with me, but I don't see any reason to think that Photo Mechanic is not properly writing your metadata with the files that you provided.