Author Topic: update image-folder new location  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• freelance photographer from Stockholm Sweden
    • View Profile
    • RVBILD
update image-folder new location
« on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99)
Mac book pro
Ventura 13.3.1 (22E261)
2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

I have a portable hard drive that I copy my memory card "Ingest". Then I move these pictures to my raid hard drive.

Then I will update  image-folder new location, but I can not find the portable hard drive. It is visible on the computer's desktop but not in the folder path under volumes.  What do I do wrong?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: update image-folder new location
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »
Roger,

I have a portable hard drive that I copy my memory card "Ingest". Then I move these pictures to my raid hard drive.

Then I will update image-folder new location, but I can not find the portable hard drive. It is visible on the computer's desktop but not in the folder path under volumes.

What part of Photo Mechanic Plus's UI are you seeing these volumes?  Please post a screenshot if that's easier than describing it.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2023, 12:59:59 AM »
So ingest to T7 Shield from there I drag the folder to my NAS . Then I will update  image-folder new location But I cannot find the best T7 Shield SSD in the Browse tab

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 09:18:47 AM »
Thank you for the screenshots, Roger.

When you have a folder in the Folder Path tree that you want to locate on a different drive, you should right-click on that folder and choose the "Update folder location..." item on the contextual menu.  Then a file system dialog will appear.  It should show all drives mounted on your system.  Pick the new location and click the Open button.

The Folder Path tree only shows drives that have items in the currently active catalogs.  If one or more of your drives do not have any images that are in the currently active catalogs, they won't appear in the Folder Path tree.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001164434-updating-the-catalog-location-of-externally-moved-folders

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »
 It should show all drives mounted on your system. but it is not show T7 Sheild see image so I can not right-click on the folder

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »
Roger,

The images in the folder you're showing are not in any catalog.  Their catalog status indicators are all empty (little gray circle to the right of the filenames.)  If they were in a catalog, they would be green.  You need to add the images to your catalog before you could ever change where they are located.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2023, 11:54:30 PM »
The images in the folder you are viewing are not in any directory. Their directory status indicators are all blank (small gray circle to the right of the filenames.) If they were in a directory they would be green. You must add the images to your directory before you can ever change their location. That's right, these pictures are downloaded to my ssd disk T7. so they are not in any catalog yet. but the same folder is on my raid called Bildraid but since I can't find my SSD T7 under volumes, I can't update  image-folder new location
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 12:38:13 AM by Roger Vikstrom »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 08:03:33 PM »
Roger,

Please tell me the full path of the folder you want to change and the full path to the folder that you want to change it into.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2023, 10:08:41 PM »
smb://RVBILD-RAID._smb._tcp.local/BILDRAID and The T7 Sheild is on the desktop

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 07:20:04 AM »
Roger,

After you move your images from the T7 Shield drive to your RVBILD-RAID drive, simply add those images on the RVBILD-RAID to your catalog.  This is all that you should need to do.

If the images on the T7 Shield drive do not exist in your catalog, there is no possibility of choosing a new location for those photos because the catalog doesn't know about them.  That's why the T7 Shield drive does not show up in the Folder Path tree.

I hope this clears things up for you.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »
So the only way is to select the entire folder located on the laptop hard drive and scan to catalog?. The problem with that is that it takes a very long time or do I miss something?
Best regards Roger.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 10:32:28 AM »
Roger,

So the only way is to select the entire folder located on the laptop hard drive and scan to catalog?. The problem with that is that it takes a very long time or do I miss something?

To choose a new location for photos, the photos have to be in the catalog.  If images are not yet in a catalog then they are unknown to the catalog and you won't see them listed in order to choose a new location for them.

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 05:05:55 PM »
have to be in the catalog How do you best import the folder into the catalog? I have the images in the right place but do I have to make them visible in the catalog? If I scan the directory Bilder 2023 again, it goes through all the folders, it takes so long, to find a smoother way?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 05:15:37 PM »
Roger,

have to be in the catalog How do you best import the folder into the catalog? I have the images in the right place but do I have to make them visible in the catalog? If I scan the directory Bilder 2023 again, it goes through all the folders, it takes so long, to find a smoother way?

Use the Scan to Catalog dialog.  Add your new folder.  Scan it in.  Shouldn't take long unless there are many tens of thousands of images.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 05:18:02 PM »
Thanks kirk sometimes I'm a bit sluggish 8)
Best regards
Roger