Author Topic: Memory leak in latest windows ver?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Eric

• View Profile
Memory leak in latest windows ver?
« on: April 18, 2023, 06:14:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I just upgraded to the latest Windows build. In doing so PM6 has become almost unusable.  The program gets slower and slower and slower until almost all functions on the laptop freeze or are lagging significantly.  It gets so bad that the preview screen will draw in sections with the exif data filling in last.  I doubled the memory in the laptop over the weekend in the hopes that it would buy me more time between reboots. It really didn't.

The laptop is a Dell XPS 17 9700 running the latest Windows 10 with all updates. i7 2.4ghz and 64gb RAM.  Let me know what you need from me to chase this down and in the meantime when I have a free minute I will shoot some video of the issues.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Memory leak in latest windows ver?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 07:05:00 AM »
Eric,

I just upgraded to the latest Windows build. In doing so PM6 has become almost unusable.  The program gets slower and slower and slower until almost all functions on the laptop freeze or are lagging significantly.  It gets so bad that the preview screen will draw in sections with the exif data filling in last.  I doubled the memory in the laptop over the weekend in the hopes that it would buy me more time between reboots. It really didn't.

The laptop is a Dell XPS 17 9700 running the latest Windows 10 with all updates. i7 2.4ghz and 64gb RAM.  Let me know what you need from me to chase this down and in the meantime when I have a free minute I will shoot some video of the issues.

What is your Memory Cache setting?  It is percentage-based.  If you have it set to use 50% of your memory, it will eventually cache up to 32GB of RAM for images.  I suggest setting it to 10%.

You can see and change this setting on the Caching page of the Preferences dialog.  Also, don't make your Disk Cache extremely large either.  More isn't always better.

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 07:23:46 AM »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 10:02:10 AM »
So your memory cache is allowed to use 11097 MB because you set it to use that much via the Memory Cache slider, and Photo Mechanic is currently using 11,273 MB of your RAM. It will always use a bit more than your Memory Cache slider setting because that is only for stored thumbnails and previews, and the application itself needs to use some RAM as well. What is the indication of a memory leak?

How much space is available on the C drive?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:03:13 PM by ahoward »

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 08:36:17 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Here's a twist. I wouldn't know how to do that (the date field) if I HAD to.  I can tell you for a fact that the code replacement file that that data came from was NOT loaded at the time of the ingest.  I can also tell you that PM refused to do incremental ingesting until I formatted the cards a third time. This date bug is from well into the game when it WAS doing incremental ingesting.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 08:42:53 AM »
Eric,

Here's a twist. I wouldn't know how to do that (the date field) if I HAD to.  I can tell you for a fact that the code replacement file that that data came from was NOT loaded at the time of the ingest.  I can also tell you that PM refused to do incremental ingesting until I formatted the cards a third time. This date bug is from well into the game when it WAS doing incremental ingesting.

Did you mean to reply to a personal message?  I don't understand what this has to do with a memory leak issue?

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2023, 08:48:21 AM »
Nope I was adding a new 'symptom' and I agree that it probably has nothing to do with a leak so much as memory corruption.

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2023, 08:51:54 AM »
Here is the screen cap of the sheet that was being used for ingesting last night. There are no funky codes in the fields.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2023, 08:56:42 AM »
Eric,

Here is the screen cap of the sheet that was being used for ingesting last night. There are no funky codes in the fields.

I'd like to see what you have set in your Info Text.  Go to Edit->Settings->Set Info Text and copy and paste the entire text here, please.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 07:29:25 AM »
Hi Kirk

I worked with Andrew... actually Andrew worked and I watched... anyway... he seems to have fixed the problem and downloaded my log files. Is what you need in those or do you still need other settings?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 07:43:15 AM »
Eric,

I worked with Andrew... actually Andrew worked and I watched... anyway... he seems to have fixed the problem and downloaded my log files. Is what you need in those or do you still need other settings?

No, no longer any need to get any files/data from you.  Andrew briefed me.

Thanks,

-Kirk