Author Topic: Adding/updating IPTC information across multiple folders  (Read 769 times)

Offline Woodsman Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adding/updating IPTC information across multiple folders
« on: April 19, 2023, 07:32:37 PM »
I'm new to Photo Mechanic and Photo Mechanic Plus.

I previously used iView Media pro which eventually evolved to became part of Capture One. I have no desire to use Capture One any longer for a number of reasons.

I have many images over the years in folders and nested folders, all on an external SSD drive. I have noticed many/most images no longer seem to have my copyright information. I am wanting to add copyright information to all of my images again.

My nested folders are mostly year>date. Is there a way to add copyright information to all images, maybe using the catalog option and a template that would add my ©(year based on capture year) followed by my name without needing to open each folder and manually entering dated copyright information?

I apologize if this is an easy task and I just don't get it due to being new to Photo Mechanic. I am hopeful this will be my long term simple, no-nonsense image cataloging and viewing program.

Offline Woodsman Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Adding/updating IPTC information across multiple folders
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 09:39:46 PM »
I think I have it figured out. I used variables for my metadata template>Open folders and sub folders in new contact sheet>Select all>Apply Metadata template to photos.

I suppose I could do this for the entire folder structure, but that seems like it might lead to problems by trying to do too many at one time? Am I correct in my assumption, or would this be OK?

What if there are images that do contain some metadata information and I only would like to update, change or add certain metadata? Can I do this and not delete existing data fields?

Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 09:12:08 AM »
I think I have it figured out. I used variables for my metadata template>Open folders and sub folders in new contact sheet>Select all>Apply Metadata template to photos.

I suppose I could do this for the entire folder structure, but that seems like it might lead to problems by trying to do too many at one time? Am I correct in my assumption, or would this be OK?

That should be OK.

What if there are images that do contain some metadata information and I only would like to update, change or add certain metadata? Can I do this and not delete existing data fields?

If the field has a '+' checkbox beside it then that field allows appending data and when activated, the existing data would continue to exist and the new data will be appended.  If the field does not have that checkbox, then the data will be replaced with what is being applied.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207623-using-the-metadata-iptc-template

-Kirk

Offline Woodsman Rick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:34:29 AM »
Thank you Kirk for the helpful information!

Rick

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2023, 05:39:08 AM »
If the field has a '+' checkbox beside it then that field allows appending data and when activated, the existing data would continue to exist and the new data will be appended.  If the field does not have that checkbox, then the data will be replaced with what is being applied.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207623-using-the-metadata-iptc-template

-Kirk
Hi Kirk,
could you please add a '+' checkbox to the 'Job ID/Trans Ref' field? This would greatly assist me in a workflow requested by the client…
Even better would be a code solution that would allow for additional information in each field. For example /append/

Current text
/append/ new text

=
Current text new text

Or is there already such a possibility and I am not aware of it yet?

Best regards, Philipp