Author Topic: Q: RAW rendering with DNG Converter  (Read 592 times)

Offline Emacs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Q: RAW rendering with DNG Converter
« on: May 05, 2023, 12:40:50 AM »
Hi,

I‘m using PhotoMechanic 6 Plus for ingesting, metadata and culling of new photographs, and I use the database and catalog functions for my archive.
Lately I‘ve experimented with the RAW rendering option and I like it a lot for viewing my catalog as I can see my developed RAWs (I use Lightroom Classic as developer).
But I wonder: doesn‘t the RAW rendering slow down my ingest and culling? Does enabled RAW rendering defeat one of the main big features of PhotoMechanic, which is ultra-fast RAW previews for fast culling?

What‘s you view on this?

Would it be an option (feature request) to have RAW rendering enabled only in the catalog part of PM6 plus and not during ingest and culling?

Cheers,

Emacs

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Q: RAW rendering with DNG Converter
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 09:40:00 AM »
But I wonder: doesn‘t the RAW rendering slow down my ingest and culling? Does enabled RAW rendering defeat one of the main big features of PhotoMechanic, which is ultra-fast RAW previews for fast culling?

What‘s you view on this?
Generally anywhere that we mention using the Adobe DNG Converter option (including our documentation on the feature), we also note that enabling it introduces a performance hit.

I wouldn't say it defeats the purpose. If you want the adjustments made by Adobe software to be visible in other programs, Adobe's rendering engine has to generate an image that other programs can use. The only way that Adobe allows others to build that into their software is by calling their DNG converter, so we provide that option. Whether it is worth the hit is up to you. You could also use Lightroom to save a JPEG to where your files are stored and then do a catalog sync in Photo Mechanic Plus. This would find those JPEGs and display them in place of the raw files.

You are certainly welcome to post your request on the feature requests forum to see if it is functionality that other users are looking for.

Offline Emacs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Q: RAW rendering with DNG Converter
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 05:38:25 AM »
Just to clarify: I love PM6 and use it daily.
I have my archive in PM6 plus and love that too.

It's just that I would love the RAW rendering in my catalog views only.

I'll head over to the feature request forum with this idea :-)

Cheers,
Emacs