Author Topic: colour rendering in slide show  (Read 969 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
colour rendering in slide show
« on: May 06, 2023, 05:39:23 AM »
I'm seeing gross over saturation in my images when I run a slide show with them. The colour is fine in the preview window and when I open the file in Photoshop but the slide show looks awful. See attached.

The same images run in slide shows on other apps and look good. Is there a PM setting to respect the profile somewhere that I've missed or is there another reason?

Maybe this isn't related to the embedded profile although I can't think what else the problem might be. I've just made a copy of one of the images that displays with too much saturation and converted the profile from sRGB to ARGB. Both look oversaturated in the slide show.

Some of the affected files are jpg, others are tif. Some have layers, others don't.

David Hoffman
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 06:07:19 AM by DavidHoffmanuk »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: colour rendering in slide show
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 09:30:02 AM »
Unfortunately we have attempted to fix the issue in the past and were unable to do so.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 09:59:11 AM »
That's disappointing. Have you found any ways to reduce the problem or, at least, what the underlying cause is?

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »
David,

That's disappointing. Have you found any ways to reduce the problem or, at least, what the underlying cause is?

My theory is that on some user’s systems the color profile set on the display is applied via the OpenGL view.  This is in addition to our application of the color profile set on the display.  It’s difficult to know which user’s displays will cause OpenGL to perform color management and which ones will not.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »
David,

Try turning off "Color manage previews for display" in the Color Management page of the Preferences dialog and then run the Slide Show.  Does that improve the color saturation issue you reported?

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 01:58:38 AM »
Thanks Kirk, but turning off "Color manage previews for display" doesn't help and might even be a little worse. I restarted PM+ after changing that setting in case that was necessary but it was the same. The embedded profile in the images is either sRGB or ARGB '98 but seems irrelevant as also is whether the file is a layered TIFF or a JPEG.

I can use other apps to run slide shows so it's a nuisance rather than a show stopper. [excuse pun]

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 09:20:39 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk, but turning off "Color manage previews for display" doesn't help and might even be a little worse.

That's unfortunate.  Eliminating all color management and leaving the system to do it was my expected solution.  OpenGL has been deprecated by most OSes so it's a dead-end technology.  We'll likely have to rewrite the slide show in order to address this problem.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 01:09:00 AM »
Hi Kirk

The same images look fine in a PM+ slide show on my early 2013 MBP also running 10.14.6 and the current version of PM+ so the problem must be related to the Mac Pro image handling in PM+.

When I have time I'll set up a new user on the Mac Pro and see if there's any difference.

David

Offline FritzImages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 05:47:26 PM »
I have the same issue. Slide Show is over satuarated on some images. The images have been converted in PS to sRGB color space. I've tried the same recommnedations mentioned but no success. Hope you find a fix. I can no longer use PM for slide show presentations. It's embarrassing to show and I don't want to 'diss your app, it's been my with me over 15 years.