Author Topic: Ignore .BIN files when ingesting?  (Read 637 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Ignore .BIN files when ingesting?
« on: May 08, 2023, 04:53:14 PM »
The Olympus OM-1 produces .BIN files which I assume are not needed when ingesting to PM. I know you have an ongoing list of extraneous camera files that PM ignores when ingesting, so any chance of adding .BIN files to the list?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ignore .BIN files when ingesting?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 05:11:43 PM »
The Olympus OM-1 produces .BIN files which I assume are not needed when ingesting to PM. I know you have an ongoing list of extraneous camera files that PM ignores when ingesting, so any chance of adding .BIN files to the list?

Where is it located on the camera disk?  And what is its name (full file name, including the extension)?

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 08:28:09 PM »
Here ya go...

Offline swagen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 08:55:57 AM »
I have the same issue.

OM-1 generates BIN files in [CARD_ROOT]/ALBM/ALB97ZZ5.BIN (for me, not sure if the file name differs between camera bodies), and Photo Mechanic ingests this. Not only that, but it appears that the BIN file has date and time set to when the card was last formatted, thus when ingesting and renaming by date, Photo Mechanic creates an additional folder with an old date that I have to then go hunt for. Easy enough to script,  but still annoying.

I also have the same problem with Sony A7C mark II - this time the BIN file is named [CARD_ROOT]/PRIVATE/DATABASE/DATABASE.BIN and also appears that its date is when the card was last formatted.

Both BIN files aren't affected by any file rename ingest settings, only their destination folder obeys its settings. Which I guess at least makes it easier to find and delete them after ingest, but it would be lovely if Photo Mechanic could be configured to ignore them somehow.

I'm running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 7102 (796dd4a) on macOS, but I've had this problem ever since I got the program, and I've regularly kept it up to date.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 02:54:37 PM »
swagen... There is a feature request to allow users to dictate which file extensions to ignore on ingest... a great idea. You might want to add your voice to that suggestion.
https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15917.0

If that's not something that PM is able to implement any time soon, I hope they will at least consider dealing with the annoying .BIN files.