Author Topic: PM to LR workflow, when to rename files?  (Read 835 times)

Offline David Hathcox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM to LR workflow, when to rename files?
« on: May 20, 2023, 06:34:28 PM »
I am somewhat new to PM6 Plus, after having used LR for ten years.  When working with PM to LR in my workflow, what advice can I get about when to rename my files?  And why is the rationale or strategy for doing so?
Upon first ingest?   After edit in PM?  After processing in LR?  Once files exported in Bridge?   
What advice and recommendations can I get?  I'm really stuggling to come to terms with this.
Thanks, David H

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: PM to LR workflow, when to rename files?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 06:56:48 AM »
Depends on why you need to rename the files, what's the purpose

If you wanna keep filenames unique and keep the original RAWS it is probably better rename at Ingest in PM and then work with that afterwards. Though I prefer to keep original names.

You can also rename files on export so that file numbers are easier to understand for the client, plus you can personalise them and add your contacts to jpgs. In this case I usually preserve original filename in the new one as well, for example ClientEvent-00001-IMGXXXX-MAXLEMESHPHOTO.jpg

I use both of these methods

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:20:32 AM »
If the files are already on your system's drives, there is no need to ingest or rename your files in order to work with them in Photo Mechanic.

If you still want to rename your images, they can be renamed in place (they don't have to be moved or copied).  If you tell me what kind of result you're looking for, I can help you achieve that result in most cases.

-Kirk

Offline krakouer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 09:54:52 PM »
I do this when ingesting via PM (via adding an xmp file);

Add a title to ALL raw files
But also add a little incremental number to the "scene" code.

PM will then rename the file to;

title_01.cr3
title_02.cr3

Then in lightroom, I can do whatever I want to file names. Title_01_hdr.dng or title_01_edit_edit_edit.psd. or randomeditname_outsource033.TIFF...

Doesn't matter.

In the end lightroom and photomechanic will always use "title" and "scene" to export and rename so I'll always be issuing "title_01.jpg" to clients. I don't have to worry what the heck the filename is called on the mac during editing. The images will always have their own unique numner too thanks to the scene code.

I found the scene code best because most apps, including capture one, use scene.
I just wish there was an option in PM to be able to overwrite files when exporting. Very annoying to end up with "title_01.jpg, title_01A.jpg"

Is this what you mean OP?