Author Topic: Ingesting Images & Video into different location…?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline mharvey65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting Images & Video into different location…?
« on: June 03, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »
Good afternoon,
I am trying to ingest 25 SATA drives of images and videos into PM+ and cannot see how to import Images and Movie files into 2 different folders…?
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Ingesting Images & Video into different location…?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 02:49:47 PM »
try using {mtyp} variable as final folder in path

unless you need to import to completely different location

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2023, 03:55:55 PM »
Michael,

I am trying to ingest 25 SATA drives of images and videos into PM+ and cannot see how to import Images and Movie files into 2 different folders…?

Do you really want to make copies of your images?  You mentioned that you're using Photo Mechanic Plus so I'm wondering if you're just trying to build your catalog instead?  If so, there's no need to ingest.  Use Scan to Catalog instead.  Your images and videos will stay where they are and the catalog will track them.

-Kirk

Offline mharvey65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 08:38:46 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I am indeed wanting to ingest all of the drives onto a NAS Synology RAID. So yes I do want to copy the data. The drives are old and I am concerned they will fail at some point. I’m just unsure how to use some of the advanced features of PM+
Tia,
Michael

Offline mharvey65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 02:04:25 AM »

Brilliant. This is really helpful. However, these drives include the System+Application folders etc which I want to ignore. Just want the Pics and Videos...??
It seems the {mtyp} brings in everything, especially the fact it identifies MKV as 'unknown'.
Is it possible to achieve what I'm trying to do?
Many thanks,
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 03:00:08 PM »

Brilliant. This is really helpful. However, these drives include the System+Application folders etc which I want to ignore. Just want the Pics and Videos...??
It seems the {mtyp} brings in everything, especially the fact it identifies MKV as 'unknown'.

I suggest ingesting Folders instead of Disks.  Pick the specific folders that you want to ingest and everything in those folders and below them will be ingested.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207409-ingesting-photos

-Kirk

Offline mharvey65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 06:21:03 AM »

I suggest ingesting Folders instead of Disks.  Pick the specific folders that you want to ingest and everything in those folders and below them will be ingested.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207409-ingesting-photos

-Kirk

If only my client was so organised. Unfortunately, the images and videos are spread across the entire hard drive, including on the desktop directory of the hard drive. It looks like many of these hard drives were salvaged from older computers and still have operating systems on them, so the opportunity of ingesting individual folders is not looking hopeful.

Any luck with a reply of why PM+ is identifying .mkv files as 'unknown'?

This is a huge task and I would like to make sure that once I set the ball rolling it will get through the task correctly.

So, I'm assuming from your reply, that PM+ HAS to import all files regardless of type if using the {mtyp} parameter? Mainly as it seems to have ingested and moved a very obvious .txt file??

Thanks for you help,

Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 09:14:28 AM »
Michael,

If only my client was so organised. Unfortunately, the images and videos are spread across the entire hard drive, including on the desktop directory of the hard drive. It looks like many of these hard drives were salvaged from older computers and still have operating systems on them, so the opportunity of ingesting individual folders is not looking hopeful.

Any luck with a reply of why PM+ is identifying .mkv files as 'unknown'?

Any file types that the application doesn't recognize that are in a folder that you're browsing are 'unknown' and if you have viewing unknown files as proxies turned on, they'll appear in the contact sheet as a generic icon (showing the application icon/logo).

So, I'm assuming from your reply, that PM+ HAS to import all files regardless of type if using the {mtyp} parameter? Mainly as it seems to have ingested and moved a very obvious .txt file??

Ingest copies all files it encounters unless they are files that we specifically filter.  Ingest Disks is intended to be used on cards from a camera and not a hard drive used for a variety of non-photography/video tasks.

-Kirk