Author Topic: Heavy Processor and RAM demand with Z8 files  (Read 573 times)

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
Heavy Processor and RAM demand with Z8 files
« on: June 11, 2023, 06:31:37 AM »
I'm using the Nikon Z8 and experiencing heavy processor and RAM demand even when PM 6.0 is open but not being used.  Files are standard lossless compressed NEF files.  The spinning arrow indicating processing is cycling off and on.  In the task manager, I'm seeing Adobe DNG Converter pop up briefly and disappear every second or so.  The processor is running hot.  It improves when I close PM but the fan is still running for a while to cool.

I have an Dell XPS 15 9500 with 32 GB of RAM.  Nothing has changed compared to viewing files from my Z7ii.  The files were imported from a CFEXpress card using PM 6.  I'm running the latest update of the software - build 6784.  Nothing unusual is open - just Chrome, Edge, and Outlook 365. 

A screen shot of task manager is attached.
Eric Bowles

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Heavy Processor and RAM demand with Z8 files
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 10:34:28 AM »
Eric,

I'm using the Nikon Z8 and experiencing heavy processor and RAM demand even when PM 6.0 is open but not being used.  Files are standard lossless compressed NEF files.  The spinning arrow indicating processing is cycling off and on.  In the task manager, I'm seeing Adobe DNG Converter pop up briefly and disappear every second or so.  The processor is running hot.  It improves when I close PM but the fan is still running for a while to cool.

I have an Dell XPS 15 9500 with 32 GB of RAM.  Nothing has changed compared to viewing files from my Z7ii.  The files were imported from a CFEXpress card using PM 6.  I'm running the latest update of the software - build 6784.  Nothing unusual is open - just Chrome, Edge, and Outlook 365. 

A screen shot of task manager is attached.

Turn off the Enable RAW Rendering checkbox in the Render Cache page of the Preferences dialog of Photo Mechanic 6.

-Kirk

Offline ericbowles

• Newcomer
  • Professional Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Bowles Images
Re: Heavy Processor and RAM demand with Z8 files
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 11:00:40 AM »
That did it.

Thanks!
Eric Bowles