Author Topic: Contacts in numerical order  (Read 673 times)

Online Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Contacts in numerical order
« on: June 15, 2023, 01:15:28 PM »
Why when uploading my pictures in a new contact sheet does the order No of each contact - eg jpeg 0013.jpeg followed by 0050.jpeg followed by 0042.jpeg - suddenly get all mixed up instead of in correct numerical order. I use P/M 6

Jeff

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Contacts in numerical order
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 02:05:47 PM »
What do you mean by "suddenly"? Does the order of the images unexpectedly change while you are simply browsing a Contact Sheet? If this is happening during Ingest, were the images that you see first locked in the camera (Photo Mechanic prioritizes copying these files first on Ingest). A screenshot or screen recording of the video maybe help us understand the issue.

Online Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 05:04:44 AM »
By suddenly I meant on uploading 2 new contact sheets and the pictures did not load in numerical order, something which has not happened previously. I uploaded 2 contact sheets from 2 memory cards - One card with Jpeg pictures and the other with RAW - And all the image numbers were all over the place.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 05:37:17 AM by Jeff1 »

Online Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 05:58:10 AM »
I have attempted to upload a screenshot of the contacts in P/M. Not sure if you have received the attachment though sorry as I cannot see anything In the reply to you.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 09:16:28 AM »
Your screenshot shows that your Contact Sheet is sorted by capture time, so the filename has no bearing on the displayed order of the images. Click the dropdown that currently says "Capture Time" and choose "Filename" to sort by file name. You may also want to check out what the default sorting method is in Preferences -> Contact Sheet.

Online Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 11:03:58 AM »
Thank you. I have carried out what you have advised and have all contacts in numerical order now. What I cannot figure out though is should'nt the setting "capture time" have done the very same thing meaning all contacts would be displayed in order anyway ? I have always had "capture time" as the setting for displaying all contacts and they load in numerical order. I do very much appreciate your advise all the same. Thank you

ps I uploaded two contacts sheets last night while set in "capture time" and both sheets of contacts loaded in numerical order. Strange but now sorted anyway. Thanks very much

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2023, 12:11:50 PM »
If all the pictures are from the same camera, they should be in order.  If they're from different cameras, probably not.

Online Jeff1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 04:53:05 PM »
Same camera and all on a single memory card Bob. Goodness knows why It happened. It does seem to have been a one off problem perhaps. All in numerical order again now though.Thank you.