Author Topic: Previewing II  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Previewing II
« on: June 17, 2023, 12:17:33 AM »
I am testing Photo Mechanic Plus to possibly replace Adobe Bridge. When images have been processed in Photoshop I would like to see how the pcosessed images look in PMP. How to do that? I only see the original images.

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Previewing II
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2023, 07:27:03 AM »
How the same images look in Photo Mechanic Plus and in Adobe Bridge.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 10:40:42 AM »
Hello Stefan,

I am suspecting your copy of Bridge is not updating the embedded jpeg previews in the DNG files. To check your settings, go to the Bridge menu > Camera Raw Preferences > File Handling. The top section for the DNG file handling should have the box checked for Update embedded JPEG previews. Next make sure the Full size option is set in the pull down menu to the right.  Now Bridge will update the embedded JPEG previews from this point moving forward but all of your existing DNG files will still have the original preview.  I didn't see an option in Bridge to batch update the DNG previews for your existing files. If you have a DNG Converter app installed on your Mac, then Photo Mechanic can batch create new DNG files with full sized previews. Just use the Convert RAW to DNG option from the Tools menu. Save the DNG files to a new folder. Once you have verified the adjustments are now visible in Photo Mechanic, you can delete the original folder of DNG files. Here is a screen shot of Bridge's DNG File Handling preferences with the full sized preview option enabled.

regards,

--Bob

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 10:49:02 AM »
That's was the case in Bridge - but these images were imported directly using ingest in PMP and therafter converted to dng using the recommended Adobe raw converter in PMP. So for this folder not at all using Bridge.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
If no image adjustments have been made, then the DNG files should look the same in Photo Mechanic as they do in Bridge.  If your camera has the option to add adjustment settings, then there is the possibility that the DNG Converter is not using them when creating the DNG preview and Bridge is applying these settings when displaying the images.  Can you send a sample file to support@camerabits.com?  Add Attn - Bob to the subject so it be directed to my inbox.  I'll try to recreate this issue on my machines.

regards,

--Bob

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 01:10:09 PM »
Of course the dng files look the same in Bridge and PMP if I didn't make any adjustments. But that's what I had done! These adjustments (on eg the underexposed images in my screenshots) are visible in Bridge but not in PMP. That's the problem. I will send you the example fil I just mentioned.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 03:52:37 PM »
Hello Stefan,

I got your sample file and I do see it has adjustment settings in the XMP metadata section. I used your file as the source for the Convert RAW to DNG utility in Photo Mechanic's Tools menu.  The DNG converter created a new DNG file with an updated preview. See my attached screen shot.
I saved the new DNG file to the original folder so there is the _1 appended to the filename.  Photo Mechanic should still have the original files selected when the process is done making it easy to move them to the Trash.  To batch remove the _1 from the end of the new DNG files, just rename them using the {fbas:0,-2} rename string. 

regards,

--Bob

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 12:47:16 AM »
Yes, this did work. But I have several thousands of folders and nearly 400 000 images, it will be to much to convert with this method.

These new dng-files doesn't get the green circle, even though they are in a folder that was scanned by PMP earlier, why?

How should I put up my workflow to get this working in PMP? My present is ingest images, convert to dng, edit in Photoshop, saving to different folders as jpg. I actually never save the prossed image as dng, just as jpg, maybe thats the problem, though it worked well in Bridge?

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 06:38:06 AM »
When imported as original CR3-files fråm my memory card though, they got this green circle, but not after beeing converted to dng. Why?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 08:35:35 AM by Stefan Cherrug »

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2023, 08:27:37 AM »
I believe the green circle means it has been added to a Photo Mechanic Plus catalog, possibly automatically during an ingest if that option was checked. When you create new DNGs they would have to be added to the catalog manually, because they had not been added.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits