Author Topic: Sidebar's horizontal scroll bar behaviour  (Read 416 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Sidebar's horizontal scroll bar behaviour
« on: June 17, 2023, 10:08:10 PM »
Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99)
Mac OS 12.6.6

I’ve noticed a minor UI issue for quite a while now, but I just now discovered a clue that might help sort it out so thought I’d pass it along.

When launching PM+, the Favorites sidebar’s horizontal scroll bar is always active, whether it needs to be or not (no extra long folder names that would require scrolling horizontally). This means that when using my trackpad to scroll vertically, my Favorites can also bounce around side to side, often causing the triangles on the left to become partly hidden (1st screenshot).

Adjusting the width of the sidebar to make it wider makes the horizontal scroll bar disappear as you would expect, but strangely, adjusting it narrower also makes the scroll bar disappear (2nd screenshot). Once the horizontal scroll bar is gone, all is well until I restart PM, then it returns until I adjust the width again.

I just discovered a clue though. I rarely ever use the Navigator so I almost always collapse it whenever I launch PM. I just noticed that on an occasion when I did not collapse the Navigator, the next time I quit and relaunched PM, the horizontal scroll bar was not active. After multiple tests I discovered it is repeatable; if the Navigator is collapsed when PM quits, the horizontal scroll bar is active the next time PM launches, whether needed or not.

*** As an aside, I’ve always wondered why PM does not remember that I’ve collapsed the Navigator, since it remembers when Tasks is collapsed and other layout preferences. I never use the Navigator because I’ve put everything I need in my Favorites, so I have to manually collapse the Navigator every time I launch PM.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Re: Sidebar's horizontal scroll bar behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 09:13:49 PM »
Once the horizontal scroll bar is gone, all is well until I restart PM, then it returns until I adjust the width again.

Scratch that. It keeps showing up randomly when opening some folders, even though the contents are narrow enough that a the horizontal scroll bar is not even close to being needed.