Author Topic: Flatten all hierarchies in the keywords  (Read 357 times)

Offline mastix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Flatten all hierarchies in the keywords
« on: June 28, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
In the past I made a big mistake to create structured keywords or hierarchies like they are called in LR. This has been a huge mess and time lost for me trying to fix the mess . Double keywords, you cannot flatten them, so you can never get rid of this hierarchy nightmare.

Lightroom does not have it, but I would jump in a heartbeat to PM Plus if there was an option to flatten and make disappear all the structured hierarchy inside the metadata of the image. Just one button, select images and flatten all the structured keywords. A dream to come true someday, I hope.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Flatten all hierarchies in the keywords
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 02:22:14 PM »
Hello mastix,

One day Photo Mechanic might have a Flatten Keywords utility but this can also be done in the current version. Just open a contact sheet on a folder with Structured Keyworded images. Now open the Find and Replace utility from the Edit menu.  The Find field will just have the Pipe symbol | and then Replace field will just have a comma. This will work for multiple pipes in the Keywords field. I just have the Keywords box checked in the field list. I have also checked the box to Treat repeating fields as  single string. See my screen shot for this configuration.

Best regards,

--Bob