Author Topic: Request help  (Read 492 times)

Offline Gabry75

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Request help
« on: June 29, 2023, 12:10:20 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to the group, I use Photo Mechanic 6.0 and I have a question that has probably already been asked.
When I look at full screen preview images of Nikon cameras the resolution is the maximum, when I look at full screen previews of other brands (including drones) the resolution is 1620x1080.
This complication often results in not being able to understand if the photographs are perfectly focused.
I kindly ask if it is possible, as for Nikon files, to always see the previews of any brand at maximum resolution.
Thanks in advance to anyone who knows and wants to answer me.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Request help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
Hello Gabry75,

Not all camera raw files have a full sized embedded preview.  For these camera models, set the camera to shoot raw + jpeg with a full sized jpeg.  Photo Mechanic will pair up the raw and jpeg files by default, using the jpeg for the thumbnails and large preview.  The View menu has the option to pair raw and jpegs or show all files.  The Command-j or Control-j ( Mac or Win ) shortcuts will toggle the file pairing on and off.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline Gabry75

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
But the same files with Adobe Bridge I see them at maximum resolution, why not with Photo mechanic? If it were a problem with small jpegs, the problem would also be with Bridge.
Thank you.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 11:47:47 AM »
The issue related to your CR3 files and Drone files are different.

First, Photo Mechanic and Bridge are not the same program and offer different functionality. Bridge takes the raw data and renders it through Adobe's rendering engine to provide you with a viewable image. Photo Mechanic, on the other hand, views the JPEG embedded in your raw file and shows you that, so just because Bridge shows you a full-sized image does not mean that Photo Mechanic will as well.

Your email to our support desk indicated that you are using a very early build of Photo Mechanic (build 2725). While most CR3 files do contain a full-sized embedded JPEG, early builds of Photo Mechanic were unable to find the largest one and instead found a smaller embedded JPEG that was sized at 1620x1080. Update to the latest build of Photo Mechanic and it should resolve the issue with your CR3 files.

With regards to the files from your Drone, most RAW files I have seen from drones do only include a small embedded Preview, and unfortunately without any further action or changes to your settings, this is the best that Photo Mechanic is going to be able to show you. Your options to get a full-sized image in Photo Mechanic are to shoot RAW+JPEG with the drone, use Adobe DNG converter to create a new DNG file from the original DNG that does contain a full-sized preview, or to enable RAW Rendering (we don't recommend using this option because it is slow and it renders all images on the Contact Sheet, which you won't need for almost any other kind of RAW file since most do contain full-sized previews.