Author Topic: HEIC format  (Read 713 times)

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
HEIC format
« on: June 29, 2023, 08:41:26 AM »
Hi, I made a search in the Forum about HEIC format, but the last post was from 2020.
Due to the alleged advantages of HEIC I have a crucial queztions:
Is PM ready to substitute the JPG files with HEIC?
I am specially attracted by the non-destructive capability of the HEIC, but it will works in combination with the RAW file, like jpg do?
Thanks for helping, Leo

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: HEIC format
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 10:13:16 AM »
Substitute in what way?

HEIC can get metadata embedded, just like a JPEG, and HEIC files get paired with RAW files just like a JPEG would if the base of the filenames match. From the perspective of browsing the images and adding metadata, using HEIC files should be just as seamless as JPEG, I would say.

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 12:06:33 PM »
Substitute I mean forget JPEG and starting to use HEIC instead.
I would like to know if somebody is already on this way and if the charge deserve consideration in our days.
Combined files RAW-HEIC to be used in PM is a good start, because I suppose that the HEIC can be used to lossless duplicate version. I dont store TIFF or PSD-like files versions. Actually I work with the JPEG 100% quality combined with the RAW. So the non-destructive edit attract me a lot.
I would like to know if somebody already use RAW-HEIC combined file.
I dont know how the graphic industry look at HEIC, specially on layout, printing and sharing.
I know that for web the format is not yet supported.

Thanks for helping, Leo

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 11:35:28 AM »
My problem is that Photoshop still doesn't work well, or at all, with the .HIF files from Sony cameras. Otherwise I'd love to switch myself.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/