Author Topic: Ingest 3-5 times faster when contac sheet is closed  (Read 582 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
Ingest 3-5 times faster when contac sheet is closed
« on: July 01, 2023, 01:01:39 PM »
I discovered that the ingest works about 3-5 times faster when i have the contact sheet closed, it looks like to have something to do with the image sorting. is there some way to switch the sorting off? i use Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Ingest 3-5 times faster when contac sheet is closed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
What sort method are you using? Some sort methods are faster than others. The only way to turn sorting "off" is to close the contact sheet, otherwise it needs to sort your files to know where they are going to go on the contact sheet.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 09:43:19 AM »
it stands usually on capture time. I noticed strange behaivor now a few times even when i dont do anything with PM it has some times in idle mode 60% CPU usage of my Ryzen 7 on my Macbook ait M1 it uses while importing up to 95% CPU  and when i do nothing with it also arround 40% what is very strange. As there was issues with Ventura i am still on Maverick, is it now safe to upgrade to Ventura? Will PM work correctly then?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 04:15:44 PM »
If you change your default sort method to Filename, does that speed it up? Sorting by filename is going to be faster than sorting by capture time.

Since we released our update that addressed the performance issues caused by Ventura, we haven't really seen any of the issues that people were reporting before we released that update. I assume you mean Monterey and not Mavericks, since Mavericks reached end of life before M1 Macs were ever released. While I don't anticipate that the latest build of Photo Mechanic on the latest build of Ventura is going to introduce any new issues, I can't guarantee that upgrading is going to fix your Ingest problem, because this wasn't a common complaint with Monterey to begin with. If you are wary about upgrading, I would recommend creating a volume on your boot drive to install Ventura on and test it out before upgrading your main OS.