Author Topic: Catalog sync finding ".appledouble" files and adding to catalog  (Read 1030 times)

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
As subject says, my first attempt at a Catalog Sync revealed a couple thousand added "files" with "apple double" names. As a Mac user, I think this has something to do with the MacOS resource fork in the file system, and these things are usually hidden. Apparently PM6+ found them and reports they were added to catalog. I am not seeing them, but realizing that there is no free lunch, I tend to think that adding even a bunch of hidden files is not ideal to a database or catalog.

Has anyone else experienced this and / or have recommendations?

thanks

gary

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Catalog sync finding ".appledouble" files and adding to catalog
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 12:06:11 PM »
Sorry this post never got a reply, but we aren't sure how those files are getting added to the catalog. I don't know how they would have gotten created, but I tried to make one using the 'touch' command in terminal and then used Scan to Catalog to scan the folder where I made it and the file didn't get added.

When you go to the Browse tab in Photo Mechanic Plus and then Expand the "File type" option, is the Appledouble file listed there? Maybe you could zip one of these files and send it to us? (Perhaps there something different about the empty file I created than the ones that are on your computer).

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 05:15:42 AM »
I just get the same problem: PM6 found a lot of .appledouble Files and tell me, they have been added to the catalog (in Quick Sync).
When I want to show them in the sync collection, the count shows a lot of files, but nothing is displayed.
In the "File Type"  Option in the Browse Tab is no .appledouble Files, because they are normal image file types (.nef) inside a hidden Folder .appledouble.
I have attached a zip file of these files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 05:40:09 PM »
I just get the same problem: PM6 found a lot of .appledouble Files and tell me, they have been added to the catalog (in Quick Sync).
When I want to show them in the sync collection, the count shows a lot of files, but nothing is displayed.
In the "File Type"  Option in the Browse Tab is no .appledouble Files, because they are normal image file types (.nef) inside a hidden Folder .appledouble.
I have attached a zip file of these files.

Thanks for the zip file.  The files are not NEFs.  They appear to be resource-forks for NEF files, represented as a file in a .AppleDouble folder.

How is it that these are being created?  Resource-forks were made obsolete more than a decade ago by Apple.

If these files are always found in .AppleDouble folders, you could make a pattern to ignore them in Catalog Sync (add the pattern: */.AppleDouble)

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline bildbaendiger

• View Profile
    • bildbaendiger
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 07:10:36 AM »
Thank you Kirk for your answer.
It is also unclear to me how these files are written. The disk is also connected to a macOS 13 BigSur.
It was probably a program that wrote these files, because there were only a few folders that contained these files. But I have no glue.
I also had them ignored with the pattern */.AppleDouble. Later, I simply deleted them.